The Stand,First Edtion,later printing

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Gia333

The Stand,First Edtion,later printing

Post by Gia333 »

I recently picked up a copy of The Stand, 1978, later printing.
The dust jacket price is $17.95, not $12.95 as the true First, gutter code is Z5 and based on an item I found in the forum here, this is likely a reprint from 1984.
It has been difficult finding an estimated value of the copy I bought. I don’t want to sell it necessarily, I was excited to add it to my collection. The seller had it advertised as a Stated 1978 First Edition and when I reached back out to them to explain it was a later printing they asked what price would be acceptable considering the situation.
Are there any resources available to determine the likely value of my copy or can anyone share insights?
The book is in great condition, although some wear on the dust jacket such as minor rubbing and slight tears. Previous owner signature in front end page. The binding is tight and solid.
Thank you,
Gina
mcbanick

Re: The Stand,First Edtion,later printing

Post by mcbanick »

Hi Gina - later printings are not typically collectible (true first editions are what most collectors are after). So the copy you’re describing is probably worth maybe $20
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Agreed! $20

Mulleins
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

You can also check what it's sold for recently on eBay ... this list also includes the sales of true first printings, though.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=st ... 1&_sacat=0
JackyBoy

Post by JackyBoy »

Hi, Gina. Definitely not contradicting the experts here but thought I would add my two cents - hoping it helps! It's true that serious collectors are only interested in first printings but there's a whole separate world of casual collectors out there that they tend to overlook that still look for cheaper versions of these books. What you have is a first edition - fifth printing with that gutter code. While serious collectors wouldn't touch it, anything from a third to a sixth or seventh printing is still selling on Ebay for $80-$100 all day long. So definitely don't get rid of it for $20! I hope that helps and good luck with your future collecting.

Josh
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

One item I haven't seen discussed here is condition, when it comes to those later printings and their value the condition of the book is going to be more important than if it's a (for example) 5th vs 6th printing.

Use that ebay link that Sherlock listed and compare your copy to what's been sold and that should give you a pretty good idea of the value.

In case your are considering selling, remember that eBay fees eat up about 15% of a sale, so if you were to sell a book for $50 you'd walk away with around $42.
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

TheCollector wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:54 am In case your are considering selling, remember that eBay fees eat up about 15% of a sale, so if you were to sell a book for $50 you'd walk away with around $42.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

Most places out there where you can sell books online are going "to take a cut". Being prepared for it can help deal with disappointment.