ROSE MADDER U.K. 1st

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
CHEROKEEBRUCE

ROSE MADDER U.K. 1st

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

There are 2 states of the U.K.1st edition of ROSE MADDER. The 1st state has the blood drop rose end papers, & the page block is held in with black & yellow thread & has a black ribbon page marker. The 2nd state the end papers are black & the page block is glued in with no ribbon page marker.& the image of Insomnia front cover is missing from the rear dust jacket flap..
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: ROSE MADDER U.K. 1st

Post by TheCollector »

CHEROKEEBRUCE wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:12 pm There are 2 states of the U.K.1st edition of ROSE MADDER. The 1st state has the blood drop rose end papers, & the page block is held in with black & yellow thread & has a black ribbon page marker. The 2nd state the end papers are black & the page block is glued in with no ribbon page marker.& the image of Insomnia front cover is missing from the rear dust jacket flap..
Thanks for the info! As someone that doesn't collect UK editions i've got a few follow up questions -
1) Were these printed at the same time by different companies ahead of the release date, or the same company one after another?
2) Is the first state more collectible than the second state?
b) Any idea if it's a 50/50 split between the states or is one more common than the other?
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Re: ROSE MADDER U.K. 1st

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

Question 1 I have no idea. The copyright pages are identical in both books.
Question 2 I would say both states have the same collectability as they are both 1st editions & I do not know the print run of both editions.I would say the 1st state is more disirable due to the quality of the book.
What I do find strange is why did the S/L ROSE MADDER 1/250 come with the black end papers & not the blood drop rose? The copyright page in that book does list a different ISBN number & the edition number line 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 in missing.