'Salem's Lot 1st edition 2nd printing - Ex library

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
CamFella

'Salem's Lot 1st edition 2nd printing - Ex library

Post by CamFella »

Hello all,

Recently purchased an edition of 'Salem's Lot ($120) that is presented for debate. This is an ex library book that is not in the best shape, yet it is, what I think, a first edition, second printing with a 2nd state dust jacket. The gutter code is Q41 (original 1st/1st would be Q37, so this book printed 4 weeks post original print run). Dust jacket is price clippped and reprinted with the $7.95 price along with the Father Cody reference as is appropriate for a 2nd state dust jacket. Does not state First Edition on copyright page.

This has all the expected ex library markings and paraphernalia - it looks like the previous owner pulled off the original mylar dj protector (glue marks present on front and back covers) and has some obvious abuse as a 1970's library book might see (stains, shelf wear, loose (but not broken) spine...).

I will preface this next statement by saying I do so enjoy hunting and finding any book is scarce and (possibly) rare and understand that condition is a premium. I am posting here to produce an affect. Is this something people would own?

There is also the debate regarding editions of this book. There was a lively and insightful (if not confusing at times) forum string on thedarktower.org (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sh ... o=comments). I also point to a thread on this site (other-edition-questions-f4/doubleday-sa ... t1721.html) to confirm 2nd printing. I cannot find the memo mentioned (I have seen it before but have failed to locate it presently).

Photos attached. Only four (4) per post, so I will add an additional post or two with just photos...

Cam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamFella

Re: 'Salem's Lot 1st edition 2nd printing - Ex library

Post by CamFella »

More photos,,,, Condition...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Last set of photos....
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Have at it....

Cam
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Yep, 2nd State Jacket in a later printing Salem's.

FYI- The jacket is well worth what you paid. Of course this is just my opinion.

Nice grab.

I'm one of those old collectors that could care less about other printings beyond what is considered a "First Edition". All other prints don't matter to me. Again, just my collecting habit and opinion. I own a First Edition with second state jacket Salem's.

I know I will never own a "first state" Salem's, but I've held one. Berryville Graphics (Doubleday) used to be a client of mine. After a meeting, I got to see the cabinet it was housed in, and got to hold it. If anyone is wondering about the "crease" story on the jacket...yes, it is true. The $8.95 jackets with the Father Cody error were pressed to fit inside a folder and put away. Therefore a crease ended up on spine of each folded jacket. For a while it was believed only 4 existed....but later on in years, a few more popped up. Maybe 6 total (possibly 8).

Ralph
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Cam hit me up via email on this first (but without photos) and I encouraged a post here. Just based on the description I figured he got a good price for what the book was, After seeing the photos here I'd agree the DJ is the actually valuable part here and that alone is worth the what you paid for it, likely a little more.

I think the book block though is going to be a great candidate for replacement if you come across an even ok 1st or 2nd printing to pair it with.

I was a bit confused on the emailed description of 1st edition with 2nd state DJ if the code was Q41 but after reading what you wrote here yes 1st edition but a 2nd printing with 2nd state DJ. Like Ralph said, anything that doesn't have a Q37 on the book block is going to take a big hit in value.... Generally I also go with the idea that you either have a 1st/1st or you don't...no better value to a 2nd or 10th printing in terms of the book block.

But a 2nd state Salem's Lot DJ in somewhat rough condition is going to be more valuable than a 3rd state DJ in good condition.