An awful copy of CARRIE First Edition BOMC Doubleday

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
AcrossTheRiver

Re: An awful copy of CARRIE First Edition BOMC Doubleday

Post by AcrossTheRiver »

Hi,

still haven`t found an appropriate copy.
Now a lot of sellers ship to Europe but a more worse problem occur. Nearly all of the offers are the Book Club - Editions.
And I don`t want these. I know now how they are identified fast and secure: They all have no price tag.

Is it really so hard to get nowadays a copy of this first edition Carrie? No matter of even 8th or 11th printing at a good and a reasonable price?
I would pay these prices for these very but not for book club editions: 50, 70 $.....

What you think about it?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Well, you're fighting on two fronts:

1) You have a smaller pool of sellers due to living outside of the United States
2) Stephen King book prices have been spiking since the pandemic

A few things that you could try:

1) let us know your budget, we can probably let you know if your definition of reasonable is....reasonable :) Although I haven't followed prices of later Carrie printings so I'd need to research on that myself. Hopefully others here have a better idea.
2) When looking overseas I check out https://www.ebay.co.uk/ instead of ebay.com I can't be sure but I would think most sellers there would normally ship to Germany. A current example there is this 11th printing, For about $200 it's partially price clipped but you can see there was a price there.
3) If you're not a member already you can join the SK Rare editions FB group and see if someone can help you find a copy there -it's an extremely active group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1884229755159861
AcrossTheRiver

Post by AcrossTheRiver »

Thank you so much for your help Tomas.
You helped me a lot also to valuate the current situation now.

So...what`s with this $200 11th printing for example? Reasonable or very not? I`ve seen it - and I liked it..but thinkin` it`s far too much. ..?
Or are the prices spiking that much?? Maybe they are. If so I would pay it when I must.
I want at least a very good copy of it, better like new. No Book Club because of the lower quality of those.
100$ incl. Shipping Costs would have been my upward price limit so far, rather to a lesser extent.

Currently I have no FB account.

My ebay save-lists including Germany, UK and US. I always searching in that very sequence. :)
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Seems like not that high for US sellers based on this search of recently SOLD ebay copies. But again with sellers offering to ship over seas the options are less.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/261186/i.html? ... &_udhi=200

$100-$150

I'll tell you what, if you'd like - email me separately once you find a US seller that has a copy at your price point that you're happy with and you can have them send the book to me and I'll mail it out to you. You'd just need to pay the added shipping to Germany (I'm expecting $20)
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

This one looks to ship across the pond:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155682059029?h ... R-Di86CwYg

Let us know if it works out for you.

Ralph
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

mulleins wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:22 am This one looks to ship across the pond:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155682059029?h ... R-Di86CwYg

Let us know if it works out for you.

Ralph
Nice one Ralph, thanks for digging it up!
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

I'd also suggest checking to see what the international shipping is going to be ... eBay now has a global shipping program for all sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipp ... am?id=4646

This usually means that the shipping ends up being more than what the auction says; for example, that link Ralph posted shows shipping via USPS Media Mail, but that's only for shipping in the U.S.

Hopefully, it will show the international shipping rate when the OP looks at it.
AcrossTheRiver

Post by AcrossTheRiver »

@Sherlock Joe's: Yes, it does. 20$ ebay International Shipping. What is the USPS-Price?
Thank you much for your reference to that problem - that is one problem more.
If you find a seller with an appropriate item/copy that you would very like and it will be send to Europe - then it will be send in 99% of cases via this ebay shipping program.
Nearly all of the sellers do not send on its own over the pond. In general at ebay.

So there are prices possible from 5-10$ postage (by oneself) - ...? I just even saw a price of about 90$ for it! In any case it`s always about 20-30$ for postage that added your price.
And how you`ve said - that is not necessarily the very real price for it. You will see that at the end of the auction. Maybe 5-10 $ more by this example with 20-30$ for the shipping.
Taxes & Duties.

Then when it arrived here, one more time again: Taxes $ Duties. All in all you can say if there are shown shipping costs of 20-30$ in the end they will be in fact 50$. Although it would be possible to send it for 10-20$ and that`s all.
- So you can making experiences from finding out a very cheap and favorable item which is no longer when it comes to the ebay shipping program till an already costly one which makes the ebay program unattainable.

@Ralph I let you know. Thank you very much.
Now I`m in good spirits to find one. Sooner or later. Through the kindness of Tomas.@<<<
I will update you here and should do now a daily search I guess. A lot of the sold items at your list I never have seen in mine. :shock:
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

AcrossTheRiver wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:33 am @Sherlock Joe's: Yes, it does. 20$ ebay International Shipping. What is the USPS-Price?
That particular auction shows free shipping within the United States.

I guess eBay's international shipping cost is the $20 you mentioned ... I also don't know if eBay just ignores the U.S. shipping cost for international buyers and calculates the international shipping on its own.
AcrossTheRiver

Rip-Off

Post by AcrossTheRiver »

Yes, that is the problem. Everyone earns money with you but the seller. Ebay who wants money for its service and because the shipping is not in the hands of the seller itself - who is able to declare the sending as present or something like that especially when its really accurate - custom hold out hand too then thanks to ebay.