The Stand later printing

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: The Stand later printing

Post by TheCollector »

AlexxKing69 wrote:I just got a copy of The Stand (The Doubleday version) but its a later printing, the string starts with 14 does that mean its a 14th printing? If so, was that still made in 1978? For its age I think its in really good condition and it was pretty cheap.
Nope well past 1978, issue price in '78 was $12.95 if you're up to $21.95 then it's likely mid to late 80's.
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

TheCollector wrote:
AlexxKing69 wrote:I just got a copy of The Stand (The Doubleday version) but its a later printing, the string starts with 14 does that mean its a 14th printing? If so, was that still made in 1978? For its age I think its in really good condition and it was pretty cheap.
Nope well past 1978, issue price in '78 was $12.95 if you're up to $21.95 then it's likely mid to late 80's.
Is there any website or guide that you know of that has information about the years of printings of Stephen King books?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

AlexxKing69 wrote:
TheCollector wrote:
Is there any website or guide that you know of that has information about the years of printings of Stephen King books?
I'm not sure I quite understand the question. King books are pretty much published continuously. If you mean you're hoping for a site that breaks down each printing for every single year I don't know of anyone that goes into that much detail. Especially since no one realy collects the later printings.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I agree with Tomas. No-one is interested in later printings, so there is no list of them.

If you are interested in them, start a list yourself.
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

Well I know most collectors don't care much for later printings but even on here I've seen people asking what year their later printings are from. And I would start my own list but I'm not sure how I would even find out when each printing was done.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

AlexxKing69 wrote:Well I know most collectors don't care much for later printings but even on here I've seen people asking what year their later printings are from. And I would start my own list but I'm not sure how I would even find out when each printing was done.
for the year the best thing to do is look at the gutter code. The letter identifies the year, the number identifies the week. That will tell you what year and week the early doubledays were printed. As to correlating them to a specific print run however, I think that information is lost in the dark ages...you know, before the internet :) You'd have to find someone who worked for doubleday back in the 70's and 80's and hope they have a great memory.
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

TheCollector wrote:
AlexxKing69 wrote:Well I know most collectors don't care much for later printings but even on here I've seen people asking what year their later printings are from. And I would start my own list but I'm not sure how I would even find out when each printing was done.
for the year the best thing to do is look at the gutter code. The letter identifies the year, the number identifies the week. That will tell you what year and week the early doubledays were printed. As to correlating them to a specific print run however, I think that information is lost in the dark ages...you know, before the internet :) You'd have to find someone who worked for doubleday back in the 70's and 80's and hope they have a great memory.
Actually I looked on the back pages of the book and I didn't seem to be able to find a gutter code.
I would think finding someone who worked there back then would be a lot of work so I'll just assume it was somewhere between 1985 and 1988 unless someone comes along who has the odd information that very few people care about haha