'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
kokolores

'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Post by kokolores »

Does anybody know of a 'Salem's Lot' first edition (Doubleday) that has red endpapers and past downs? I have a copy with said red endpapers. It does not look like a book conservationist did a job on the book, but likewise all true first editions seem to have white endpapers. Does anyone know the answer? And yes, all first edition points are met: first edition on copyright page, correct gutter code; 2nd state dust jacket with Father Cody and $7.95
TrueNorth

Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Post by TrueNorth »

kokolores wrote:Does anybody know of a 'Salem's Lot' first edition (Doubleday) that has red endpapers and past downs? I have a copy with said red endpapers. It does not look like a book conservationist did a job on the book, but likewise all true first editions seem to have white endpapers. Does anyone know the answer? And yes, all first edition points are met: first edition on copyright page, correct gutter code; 2nd state dust jacket with Father Cody and $7.95

I can only think of two explainations:

1. DoubleDay had the book in the bindry department for collating. Someone had grabbed the wrong stock for the endpages and had already put a few together before it was noticed. Knowing DoubleDay's quality they would let it slide.

2. The book has been rebuilt and the owner chose red.

You do have a mystery. I have never seen anything but white.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I don't have the answer either, but OP sent me the pics I'm posting them below in case anyone else can chime in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Probably had library card or owners name on the originals.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Could you elaborate a little? I don't think this is a topic that's ever come up. Is there something in the photos that shows you someone replaced the end papers (aside from the fact the color isn't right). Or is there a post somewhere with a how-to on replacing end papers?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

TheCollector wrote:
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Could you elaborate a little? I don't think this is a topic that's ever come up. Is there something in the photos that shows you someone replaced the end papers (aside from the fact the color isn't right). Or is there a post somewhere with a how-to on replacing end papers?
Apart from the wrong color, the corner folds are not well done. There are dozens of "How to replace book end papers" online. Here is a link for the lazy ones :)

http://www.bookthink.com/0076/76alt.htm
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks for the explanation and link! I do love to be lazy :)