Buy Pet Sematary, 1993 Doubleday, Thomas Holdorf illustrat

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
wfmthree

Buy Pet Sematary, 1993 Doubleday, Thomas Holdorf illustrat

Post by wfmthree »

I would like to buy a NF/NF (minimum) copy of the 1993 Doubleday reissue hardcover copy of Pet Sematary, illustrated by Thomas Holdorf. I have no idea of value but I would not expect it to be cheap.
otis

Re: Buy Pet Sematary, 1993 Doubleday, Thomas Holdorf illustrat

Post by otis »

I'm looking for this as well. At this point I'm not really convinced it even exists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.
ELazansky

Post by ELazansky »

otis wrote:I'm looking for this as well. At this point I'm not really convinced it even exists. Any information on this would be very much appreciated.
It does exist. You can see some pics of the book here - http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... post565628 - scroll down to post 2914
TWilson

Post by TWilson »

I actually just picked up this book on eBay as part of a lot with 4 other DoubleDay Reissues. I now have 6 consisting of:

Pet Sematary
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
Carrie
Salem's Lot

I am not sure how many they did. As for the rarity of the Pet Sematary one, I have never seen another one other than the one I just bought.

I wonder why it is so rare?

avidkingcollector
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

TWilson wrote:I actually just picked up this book on eBay as part of a lot with 4 other DoubleDay Reissues. I now have 6 consisting of:

Pet Sematary
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift
Carrie
Salem's Lot

I am not sure how many they did. As for the rarity of the Pet Sematary one, I have never seen another one other than the one I just bought.

I wonder why it is so rare?

avidkingcollector
You have all of them if I remember correctly. They were re-dos of the early Doubleday books which were obviously difficult to buy in good condition without taking out a second mortgage. And it allowed people to fill out their cases with decent looking books.

And just in case you were not aware: There were also full size paperbacks of these (minus Night Shift and The Stand I think??? I'm at work and can't look on my shelves) issued around the same time containing the original cover art in color on the inside front cover as a fold-out, and new introductions by people like Tabitha King, Clive Barker, etc.

If I also remember correctly, the original idea for the paperbacks was to redo all of his work in affordable editions allowing other authors to introduce it and tell why they were influenced by the work. The idea didn't really take off either and production stopped.

I would assume that's why both of these states are difficult to find since production ended so soon, and so few of them were sold.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I have the paperbacks - Carrie, Salem's Lot, Shining are all same type of cover and then Dead Zone, Firestarter and Cujo different type covers but all say Collectors editions and are Plumes. Are these the same? Had no idea they were rare.
Guess I need to start looking for those hardbacks.
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

If you are asking if all the "Collectors" paperback editions are the same, they are. I can't remember the specifics, but I think the first few paperback books were published and then a few months passed and the other books, Dead Zone, Firestarter, etc., came out.

For anyone else looking for them: The first set of soft cover books were a plain silver-ish color and had black embossing/stamping for the cover picture and lettering. Then the others came out with a more contemporary look of bold color (reds, purples) for the front cover art and a dark gray or black color for the rest of the book.

There is a brief write up with pictures in George Beahm's "Stephen King Companion" if you have it or can track it down.

Doing a quick search I found several dealers selling the trade paperbacks for $10-$100. I know I'm no expert, but I don't really see these (the hardback or soft) as worth much more than issue price since they are mass-produced reprints of reprints.

Some examples...

Picture of 'Salem's Lot p/b: (Silver)

http://www.alibris.co.uk/stores/rareboo ... em%27s+lot

Picture of Cujo p/b: (color)

http://images.alibris.com/imageid/2010303337_t.jpg
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Yep, that answers my question. Thanks.
TWilson

Post by TWilson »

If anyone is still interested in the '93 Pet Sematary Reissue, PM me an offer......

I'd be willing to part with it.....

In "F/F" condition......