Let's get to know each other a little

mulleins

Re: Let's get to know each other a little

Post by mulleins »

jmcdan08 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm Hello,
My name is Josh. Just got on the forum. I’m a wannabe collector. I don’t have much to speak of right now but am looking to collect 1st editions....hopefully. Any suggestions where to start would be great. I’m assuming I should start with the newer published books and work my way back, right?
Hello Josh and Welcome

Even a collection of 1 book it a great collection. The newer published books are easily found in first edition due to higher publication numbers. Your harder ones of course are the older ones. As you start to grab the newer copies, always keep an eye open for the older at a good deal. That's the fun of collecting and building a collection. Here is a link to some excellent information on First Editions and what to look for:

https://www.stephenkingcollector.com/1st_editions.html

I've been collecting since the early 80's so if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me. Again, welcome to The Collector, this site is awesome.

Ralph Mulleins
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

UsBeez wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm Hello!

I started collecting King books in 1982 when as a newlywed I was hospitalized and my husband bought me two Stephen King books to help me get through those long days. I was forever hooked at that point and within a short time was reading everything that I could find that he had written. After I lost my husband 13 years later, my love for collecting dimmed some (with grief you lose interest in about everything for a time). But I have cared for those books, magazines, and other memorabilia so carefully snd with great affection. And I have made purchases here and there since. While I’ve collected the books and Limited Editions, I have also spent a lot of time looking for the rare King collector Items (like the very early stories published in magazines like Startling Mysteries and Cavalier).

Always nice to meet people with the same love and craziness as me 😂😊

Lynn
Hi Lynn

It sounds like we started collecting about the same time, early 80's. I have some of the older magazines but really never got rolling in that area. I stayed with the signed limited editions, signed first editions, and first editions.

We all look forward to hearing more about your collection. Hope you stick around.

Ralph Mulleins
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Welcome Josh and Lynn I hope you enjoy the site and forum here.
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

Seems i missed out on a lot of introductions by new members here so this may be a bit overdue but .... Welcome to all! 😎
UsBeez

Re: Let's get to know each other a litt

Post by UsBeez »

Thank you @mulleins @thecollector and @Noxus35 :D

It feels as if my collecting was in another era somehow, it feels so different now. I had been tossing around months ago possibly selling much of my collection and have sold some (various reasons that I won’t bore you with), but I was so surprised by changes! Nice to know there are a few people who have been at it a while. I love the King books (and Anne Rice and urban fantasy - gotta love a monster and a vampire LOL).

Thank you for the kind welcome.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Welcome to the forum all. 8-)
MJLewis16

Introduction

Post by MJLewis16 »

Hello all,
We’re new to the site and forum, just joined today. We came upon a bulk of SK books when Jay’s mom passed unexpectedly. She was an avid reader of SK and kept her books in impeccable shape. More about us...we enjoy cooking all types of cuisine, we binge watched MasterChef Australia and America’s Test Kitchen, and we have an affection for Bernese Mountain dogs. We donated a bulk of books to the local public library, and now want these special first edition SK books to go to oficionados. Thank you to the creator of this site, hats off to you “The Collector”. // Mari + Jay
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by TheCollector »

MJLewis16 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:41 am Hello all,
We’re new to the site and forum, just joined today. We came upon a bulk of SK books when Jay’s mom passed unexpectedly. She was an avid reader of SK and kept her books in impeccable shape. More about us...we enjoy cooking all types of cuisine, we binge watched MasterChef Australia and America’s Test Kitchen, and we have an affection for Bernese Mountain dogs. We donated a bulk of books to the local public library, and now want these special first edition SK books to go to oficionados. Thank you to the creator of this site, hats off to you “The Collector”. // Mari + Jay
Welcome to the forum Mari ! Sorry to hear about Jay's mom. I lot of people find this site while trying to figure out what to do with a loved one's book collection. I can empathize, my dad was an avid reader (not SK) and when he passed away a few years ago I helped my mom sort out what to sell, donate, and give away. Quite the process. Sounds like you're well into the process. I hope you find the site useful :)