Let's get to know each other a little

PL_Drafter

Re: Let's get to know each other a little

Post by PL_Drafter »

Hi all! My name is Todd. I'm a Navy veteran-turned plumbing drafter. I've been an avid collector for about four years. (I've also done more than my share of slip case purchases from The Collector since. I may actually need more. :shock:)

My interest in SK began in the mid-80's when I read Pet Sematary. Most encompassing book I've ever read! Then I read The Gunslinger, and it's been my favorite to-date. I've managed to acquire the entire Dark Tower collection of 1sts or better, in fine or as-new condition. My prized copy is the LSOE remarqued 2121 copy shown on the site. Now that I've been cut off from poker play, in light of recent events, I'm able to focus on acquiring S/L of those books and have managed to snag LSOE and Waste Lands. Not sure if I'll ever get my hands on a Gunslinger S/L, but I can always aspire. ;)
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Welcome to the site Todd.

Hope you locate what you need for your collection.

If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ralph Mulleins
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

Welcome Todd!

Enjoy it here. 😉
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Welcome to the forums Todd, glad to have you here!
PL_Drafter

Post by PL_Drafter »

Thanks for the homely welcoming to each of you. I think this forum is deserving of much more attention. :)
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Todd! Hope you get your wish, one day, in owning a S/L Slinger.
styrophome

Post by styrophome »

Good evening! I'm Bill, 59 and live outside of DC in Ellicott City. Avid book collector and first started my collection with a signed limited DTGS #399 back in the early 80's. Paid $195 for it...right?

Was opening it today for the first time in many years to recall what number it was and was devastated to find the jacket had been clipped.

I came here in the hopes that some could explain to me why anyone would have done that.

Beyond that, it might be nice to chat about a book or two every once in a while.

My collection...today anyway! Need more room.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Welcome to the forums Bill. Thanks for sharing a photo of your collection, it looks great!

Sorry to hear about the price clipped DJ. A little before my time but I hear back in the 70's and 80's it was more common to see price clipping on a DJ to hide the price of the book when giving it as a gift.

I mean, I guess someone could have (theoretically) trashed their original dustjacket and tried replacing it with a 2nd edition dustjacket and cut the price off to hide the fact it wasn't a 1st edition DJ, but depending on when in the 80's you bought the book the 1st edition DJ's would have been the only one's available. Seems like a stretch though on a limited edition.
Max (NOT Devore)

Post by Max (NOT Devore) »

Hi! Mi name is Max. I´m from Argentina and i´ve been collecting Stephen King books in spanish since my 10th birthday, starting with a selection of four tales extracted from Skeleton Crew.
Now i´m 37 and recently started collecting (seriously, because i already had some first printings) first printings and limited editions from USA and UK.
I just started, don´t have much, but the items of my limited collection make me very happy. That´s what collecting is all about, i guess: Having what makes you happy.
And i´m truly happy to have a child that shares this very happiness with me. He loves the only pop up based on a Stephen King story: The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon. Of course, he´s only 4, so i´m not reading Pet Sematary or Misery to him. But with this pop up we´ve been reading every night for the past month, now he knows who Stephen King is. In a few years we´ll be ready to read Gramma, or some other short story that´s not too gruesome.
Of course, as a collector with a 4 year old manipulating a collectible, i had to buy two: One is for display only.
Well, i hope to become part of this community and share our admiration for Steve.
See you real soon.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Welcome to the boards Max.

I have a King collecting friend in Argentina who also writes books on King. Will send you a private message with details.

Again, welcome to our boards and to collecting King.

Mulleins