Let's get to know each other a little

adrien.sauvageon

Re: Let's get to know each other a little

Post by adrien.sauvageon »

Hi, I first want to thank you for this wonderful website, thanks to you I can now now know how to test the authenticity of a SK book :D . It BLOWS :shock: my mind that you created this whole website out of good intentions without geting anything in return, so thanks again.
I'm 13 years old and I was born in San Fransisco, I moved to Paris when I was 3 years old getting a strict french education. I started reading for pleasure when I was 10, reading all the Harry Potters, I then stopped reading a lot until 2 years ago. One day while I was the Library I wondered how a book could be scary, I went to the english section and picked the first Stephen King book I saw. The book was Revival, I read and enjoyed it, making me pick up another book, this one was Mr. Mercedes. I started my Stephen king collection about 3 months ago, I now have 31 hardcover first edition (or first edition cover). The Books are: Carrie, Salem's lot, The Shining (I also have a paperback), Night shift, The Stand (The Cut and the Uncut edition), The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Different Seasons, Christine, The Talisman, Thinner, The Eyes of the dragon, Misery, The Dark Half, Four Past Midnight, Insomnia, Nightmares and Dreamscaped, Desperation, The regulators, On writing, Dreamcatcher, Black House, Everything's eventual, Cell, Joyland, Doctor Sleep, Revival, The bazaar of Bad dreams, elevation. And I hope The Institute :). Thanks for this great site and bye!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

adrien.sauvageon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:04 am Hi, I first want to thank you for this wonderful website, thanks to you I can now now know how to test the authenticity of a SK book :D . It BLOWS :shock: my mind that you created this whole website out of good intentions without geting anything in return, so thanks again.
I'm 13 years old and I was born in San Fransisco, I moved to Paris when I was 3 years old getting a strict french education. I started reading for pleasure when I was 10, reading all the Harry Potters, I then stopped reading a lot until 2 years ago. One day while I was the Library I wondered how a book could be scary, I went to the english section and picked the first Stephen King book I saw. The book was Revival, I read and enjoyed it, making me pick up another book, this one was Mr. Mercedes. I started my Stephen king collection about 3 months ago, I now have 31 hardcover first edition (or first edition cover). The Books are: Carrie, Salem's lot, The Shining (I also have a paperback), Night shift, The Stand (The Cut and the Uncut edition), The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Different Seasons, Christine, The Talisman, Thinner, The Eyes of the dragon, Misery, The Dark Half, Four Past Midnight, Insomnia, Nightmares and Dreamscaped, Desperation, The regulators, On writing, Dreamcatcher, Black House, Everything's eventual, Cell, Joyland, Doctor Sleep, Revival, The bazaar of Bad dreams, elevation. And I hope The Institute :). Thanks for this great site and bye!
Welcome! I suppose it was a little selfish. Back in 2000 when I was just starting to get into collecting I wanted a place where I could find more info on all these rare SK books I was learning about. Since there wasn't anything out there I decided to make it. Of course the site back then was not only basic in terms of design,(you can see an old archive here) but also missing a ton of content.

Fortunately for me (and everyone) other collectors found the site and stepped in big time to help fill the huge gaps of content and share there info to benefit the site and everyone that comes to visit. Sure I keep it current but it is definitely a group effort. Even to this day.
Carnage

Post by Carnage »

Hello,
I read SK as a teenager and younger and now I'm 40 and getting back into reading his stuff. I'm happy that I have about 2 decades worth of his books to go back over and read. I just enjoyed the Outsider and Doctor Sleep.

I would like to start collecting First Editions. As of now, I have no need or want to collect signed editions or the rarer, more expensive ones, but I've found this sight invaluable to start my very modest collection. Looking to understand how to grade the condition of the book so I'll just sit back and read the forums for a while.

Best to everyone!
Carnage
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

Welcome Carnage ,

Enjoy this very informative forum here, i hope you'll find every bit of info that you need. 😎

If not ...... Just open a topic & ask, surely someone on here will help & inform you as good as they can. 😉

Best wishes to you. 👌🏻👍🏻
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Nice to meet you! I had basically the same collecting goals as you but then I realized some editions were out of my reach price wise and then somewhere along the way I became sidetracked and started picking up other collectible books.
Carnage wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm Hello,
I read SK as a teenager and younger and now I'm 40 and getting back into reading his stuff. I'm happy that I have about 2 decades worth of his books to go back over and read. I just enjoyed the Outsider and Doctor Sleep.

I would like to start collecting First Editions. As of now, I have no need or want to collect signed editions or the rarer, more expensive ones, but I've found this sight invaluable to start my very modest collection. Looking to understand how to grade the condition of the book so I'll just sit back and read the forums for a while.

Best to everyone!
Carnage
Stevenemo86

Post by Stevenemo86 »

Well I’ve been on this site for a few months now so I figure I’ll introduce myself. My name is Steve and I live in the Cleveland area. I’ve read king my entire life but just started collecting recently. Mostly first editions first printings but a few limited editions as well. I absolutely love anything dark tower related, it’s my favorite of his. I’m limited on what I can afford as far as the higher priced items go but it’s just fun looking around and seeing what’s out there. I actually just got my first signed Stephen king book for Christmas. My girlfriend purchased it from betts books so that was pretty cool. My dream edition to someday get would be a limited skeleton crew by scream press. In my mind it’s the most beautiful limited out there. Maybe someday... lol. Anyways thanks to everyone on here for all your help and insight. I don’t know what I’d do without all of your help. Happy new year!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Stevenemo86 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:49 pm Well I’ve been on this site for a few months now so I figure I’ll introduce myself. My name is Steve and I live in the Cleveland area. I’ve read king my entire life but just started collecting recently. Mostly first editions first printings but a few limited editions as well. I absolutely love anything dark tower related, it’s my favorite of his. I’m limited on what I can afford as far as the higher priced items go but it’s just fun looking around and seeing what’s out there. I actually just got my first signed Stephen king book for Christmas. My girlfriend purchased it from betts books so that was pretty cool. My dream edition to someday get would be a limited skeleton crew by scream press. In my mind it’s the most beautiful limited out there. Maybe someday... lol. Anyways thanks to everyone on here for all your help and insight. I don’t know what I’d do without all of your help. Happy new year!
Welcome Steve, and congrats on getting for first signed SK book! What title did you get?

For sure not everyone can, or wants to, go crazy with collecting super rare books. The good news is many of the artist/gift editions have incredible production value. Some are even basically identical to the limited edition but are just not signed by SK and come in a slipcase vs traycase. No matter what level of collecting you're into, you're welcome here. :mrgreen:
Stevenemo86

Post by Stevenemo86 »

She actually got me sleeping beauties signed by Owen and Stephen King. I don’t know much about signatures but if it’s from Betts I’m guessing it’s legit? And yes the collecting game is something I’ve learned to take slow. Save for what you really want and let others go. Like I had dead zone from PS in my cart and I’m like do I really need this? I ended up just deciding to save the money and wait for something I absolutely have to get. Plus I have so many preorders on the way Revival, night shift ,seasons of terror, I don’t need another at the moment. Lol
pfrazier0

Post by pfrazier0 »

Hi:
I'm 75 years old. Retired, have one grown son.
I've been collecting Stephen King books for over 20 years. Don't have a real large collection
(had some stolen from me a few years back.

Times are a little hard right now and I would like to sell my 2nd edition The gunslinger. It's in
mint condition and has a clear cover on it.ISBN 0937986-50-X No tears, Marks or ETC.

I think I paid 500 dollars for it about 20 years ago, so I probably paid too much for it. It is from
Donald Grant Publisher, Inc. Has single price of $20.00 on jacket inside the front cover.
Illustrated. No tears, blemishes or wear and tear that I can determined. Read it when I first
got it and not since.

Phyllis
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

pfrazier0 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:20 pm Hi:
I'm 75 years old. Retired, have one grown son.
I've been collecting Stephen King books for over 20 years. Don't have a real large collection
(had some stolen from me a few years back.

Times are a little hard right now and I would like to sell my 2nd edition The gunslinger. It's in
mint condition and has a clear cover on it.ISBN 0937986-50-X No tears, Marks or ETC.

I think I paid 500 dollars for it about 20 years ago, so I probably paid too much for it. It is from
Donald Grant Publisher, Inc. Has single price of $20.00 on jacket inside the front cover.
Illustrated. No tears, blemishes or wear and tear that I can determined. Read it when I first
got it and not since.

Phyllis
Hi Phyllis, welcome to the forums. If it's a 2nd edition (Black boards) then unfortunately you did pay too much for it. The going rate for a 2nd edition is $250-$350ish. You're welcome to put this up in the buy/sell section of the forums. I'm afraid no one will be looking for a sale in this thread.