Let's get to know each other a little

Tony1967

Re: Let's get to know each other a little

Post by Tony1967 »

Hi, my name is Tony and I’m 52 and live in Western New York State. I’ve been reading and collecting King for many years. I have a fair number of signed/limited editions and look forward to someday getting a copy of The Stand. I also have a number of other authors in s/l editions like Straub, Koontz, Barker, Keene and also like to read mystery/thrillers aside from horror.
Thanks Tomas for making the forum easier to post from mobile devices!!
BusterC

Post by BusterC »

Howdy! Long time King reader. The Shining book scared the crap out of me, and I just loved The Stand, both versions! But, my ultimate favorite is the Dark Tower Series. Listening to the audible version of DT7, for a second time, really helped me to get the details that I glossed over in my first reading when I wanted to see if RD made it to the Dark Tower.

My favorite aspect of Kings stories is his character development. I pretty much read them all.

Live in Cincinnati, male, and approaching the double nickel in age.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Congratulations to week 1 winner kjordan! I've sent you an email with all the details.

FOR WEEK 2 - Please post a reply in the What are you reading now thread. A random entry will be selected next Monday the 12th as the week 2 winner!
TonyD2336

Post by TonyD2336 »

I know I missed the first week’s contest but I figure it would still be good to introduce myself. My name is Tony and I’m 35. I’m an active duty Marine EOD tech with 18 years of service under my belt. I plan to retire as soon as I hit my 20 year mark and intend to collect books full time afterwards. I hope to accomplish this ridiculous goal under the premise of opening a struggling book store that makes just enough money to keep itself open. Really it’ll just be an excuse to do what I enjoy all of the time.

I’ve been reading King since I was around 13 years old and popped my SK cherry with Needful Things, followed immediately by Gerald’s Game and Misery.

Last November I quit drinking and subsequently began actively collecting King. As with anything I’ve ever done in my life, I went all out from day one. In less than year I’ve gotten my hands on 1st/1sts of about 85% of his published works. Including the ever sought after The Gunslinger. My next goal is to find a PC copy of the limited edition The Gunslinger to complete my PC set of the dark tower.

I’ve enjoyed referencing this site and greatly appreciate all the work the admins and members have obviously put into making this a treasure trove of SK knowledge.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Nice to meet you! Congrats on the 1st/1st collection. It can be exhilarating finding all of those for the collection.
HideBobNow

Post by HideBobNow »

Greetings all,

I live in East Texas w/ my family. I have only recently began reading and collecting SK 1st/1st books, and I’m kicking myself for waiting until this long. But better late than never I suppose. Very much enjoying learning and reading more about SK and interesting aspects of the novels, printings, movies, fans, etc. last three completed include Lisey’s Story, IT & Just After Sunset - looking forward to hearing from everyone else!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

TonyD2336 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm I know I missed the first week’s contest but I figure it would still be good to introduce myself. My name is Tony and I’m 35. I’m an active duty Marine EOD tech with 18 years of service under my belt. I plan to retire as soon as I hit my 20 year mark and intend to collect books full time afterwards. I hope to accomplish this ridiculous goal under the premise of opening a struggling book store that makes just enough money to keep itself open. Really it’ll just be an excuse to do what I enjoy all of the time.

I’ve been reading King since I was around 13 years old and popped my SK cherry with Needful Things, followed immediately by Gerald’s Game and Misery.

Last November I quit drinking and subsequently began actively collecting King. As with anything I’ve ever done in my life, I went all out from day one. In less than year I’ve gotten my hands on 1st/1sts of about 85% of his published works. Including the ever sought after The Gunslinger. My next goal is to find a PC copy of the limited edition The Gunslinger to complete my PC set of the dark tower.

I’ve enjoyed referencing this site and greatly appreciate all the work the admins and members have obviously put into making this a treasure trove of SK knowledge.
Congratulations on your recovery and your burgeoning Stephen King collection! If I come across a PC Copy of The Gunslinger I'll be sure to drop you a PM.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Just as a reminder, it's week 3 of The Institute giveaway. What/where to post each week along with who won the previous week is available at this thread
non-sk-related-posts-f5/the-institue-gi ... t2356.html
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Well I suppose I will jump in on this as well.

Hello. My name is Tim and I like to read. I currently live in the panhandle area of Florida. I grew up in NW PA but have lived in Ohio, Michigan, Germany (for a short time), and all over the state of Florida.

I’m married, 44 years old, and have two adult age children. I enjoy sewers, di-polar computers, and other cockadoodie things.

I first discovered Stephen King around age 12 while browsing my uncle’s bookshelves. My uncle was, and still is, a voracious reader of westerns and more specifically Louis L'Amour. Sitting among shelf after shelf of outlaws, ranch hands, and thieving cattle rustlers was a PB copy of The Gunslinger.

From that moment on I was hooked. I looked for every SK book that the library had and quickly followed The Gunslinger up with COTW, EOTD, Tommyknockers, IT (or course!), The Stand, and I certainly always craved more of Roland’s world.
My collecting of SK started then. I collected any old paperback copy of SK I could find with the goal of having one of each. Back then I didn’t know, or care, about 1st 1st’s, special editions, signed, or any other special variation. I just wanted to read, collect, and enjoy everything SK related I could get my hands on.

As I entered high-school my parents started gifting me hardcover copies of SK books and my collection of ragged, worn out, paperbacks slowly changed to ragged, worn out, hard covers which I continued to add to over the years, past high-school, and into my twenties.

At some point in my early thirties I started looking for 1st editions 1st printings of new SK books. I then was gifted a “signed”* copy of Firestarter. By then I had, what I believed, to be an amazing collection of SK works. I had in some shape or form a copy of just about every novel he had ever written.

In 2008, I discovered Grant Books and specialty press during my daily scouring of EBAY for books. Not long after that, while trying to verify a printing, I stumbled upon the thedarktower.org and later this site. This is when I realized what SK collections could really look like!

Since then I have been embroiled in this sick, twisted, awesome, world of book collecting and have met many wonderful people who share similar interests.

Suffice it to say, my collection has grown, and expanded, to other authors and a good amount of small press publishers. I have, over the last few years, slowed down on collecting and have mostly went back to my roots of just being happy with a nice copy of SK’s new works.

Nice meeting all of you and “Thank You” for reading.

*Turns out not only was that Firestarter a book club book but is was also a forgery…I was devastated. :D
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

Hi ,

My name is Twan, 34 years old and i live in the Netherlands with my girlfriend & daughter.
Second child is due at 02-14-2020 (valentine's day).

First time i ever read a King book was when i was around 12 years old and i borrowed a copy of HET (IT) from a local library.

It was a reading experience i would never forget and still is one of my all time favorite King books, i managed to get a original print hardcover edition of this novel from Ebay a couple of years back.
Even though i believe this to be a book club edition, it really doesn't matter to me.
I love reading this novel whether it be an original print BCE or an original 1st edition hardcover, it looks good in my book display. 😉

Last night i bought The Stand Complete & Uncut doubleday edition from Ebay, can't wait for it to arrive though. 😎

Cheers and have a great day to all on here! 👍🏻