Let's get to know each other a little

Pennywise1408

Re: Let's get to know each other a little

Post by Pennywise1408 »

I am a 44 year old who is an avid Stephen King reader. I am also a 10 year Army Veteran who now works with the disabled. I have two children, one starting college, and the other starting high school. It has been very exciting finally introducing my children to these stories that have been a part of my life for so long.
The first book I ever read of his was Pet Semetary, and from there I was hooked. Amazingly enough, the book that hooked me into this world is the one that scared my mother out of it for about 20 years. I even had a cat that we named Church that looked just like the one from the original movie. My all time favorite book is The Stand, which I have re-read 5 times.
Bristelstomp12

Hi, I'm Bristelstomp12

Post by Bristelstomp12 »

I live on the West Coast in Salem, Oregon. Salem's Lot was the first King I read and he scared me to death! Then I started reading and sometimes waiting to devour every other book he wrote. I am a little behind now but it is still a joy to call myself one of his Constant Readers.

Thank you for welcoming to the club.
Bristelstomp12

Re: The Institue Giveaway!

Post by Bristelstomp12 »

Always love a new book coming out. :D :D
Mobax

Re: The Institue Giveaway!

Post by Mobax »

Hello! My first SK book was Firestarter. Love his work...
denasbird

Post by denasbird »

Hi My name is Dominic. Been reading King since about 1990 when my friend told me to read Misery. Been hooked ever since. Live in Lewes,DE now. Originally from N. Massapequa, NY. Then moved to Stratford, CT. My favorite book is the Shining. Favorite adaptation is Shawshank.
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

Hello, I learned about this site through TDT.org, have looked up info many times but never interacted with the forum until now.

I'm kind of an "in-between" type of book collector, in that I have little in common with true collectors (I own <20 collectible books, don't concern myself with completing lines of anything, treat fine books more like an online museum (look at, but don't take home), and have never spent over $150 on a book), but I look like a collector to non-book people (because I'm willing to spend $100 on a special copy of a book I already have and have read and will spend hours and hours researching to determine the best (for me) edition of almost anything I buy (whether it technically is a "collectible" edition or not).

I suppose King is still my favorite author, although I haven't read anything by him in 2 1/2 years; It is probably the only book for which I'd be willing to spend $500 (I'm thinking of Cemetery Dance's gift edition, which I don't yet have), although I am also obsessed with Peter Straub's Shadowland.

As for collectibles/notables I do have:
- from Cemetery Dance: Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining;
- from Folio Society: The Second World War (6 volumes, Churchill), The History Of Western Philosophy (Russell), The Name Of The Rose (Eco);
- others: an artist-produced (Evan Dahm) edition of Moby Dick, Centipede Press' Library of Weird Fiction Arthur Machen collection, a first American printing of Our Mutual Friend (Dickens), a numbered (of 2000) 2-volume leatherbound set of Christmas Stories (Dickens), an illustrated (Alan Lee) hardcover set of The Lord Of The Rings (one of many, really, and probably not technically a collectible), somewhat leathery-looking but probably not actually leatherbound editions of The Hobbit (green with gold) and LOTR (single volume, red), Barnes & Noble editions of collections of Poe and Lovecraft, and a 'not really a collectible but nice anyway' 10th anniversary edition of The Name Of The Wind (Rothfuss).

As for music, I am a huge fan of Marillion, Steven Wilson (including his various projects including Storm Corrosion, Blackfield etc.), Pink Floyd (including solo work, mainly David Gilmour but also some Roger Waters), Tool, The Who (including some, but not all, of Townshend's solo material), and Rush, and a somewhat lesser fan of Duran Duran, Traffic Experiment, The Wishing Tree, Edison's Children, Anathema, Nosound, Big Big Train, Eden Shadow, Alice In Chains, Adele, The Cult, Guns N' Roses, Kate Bush, Loreena McKennitt, Seal, The Neighborhoods, and Tin Machine.

I live near Boston (USA) and therefore am a fan (to varying extents) of the Celtics, Patriots, Bruins, and Red Sox (not a stupid fan, however - I know enough to respect the likes of the Yankees (who don't suck) and Kobe, while not at all respecting all the bogus officiating they've benefited from over the years - but I digress).

50 years old, sometimes feeling it, but mostly still feeling like a 9-year old who likes to watch cartoons.
St. Troy

Post by St. Troy »

...I should add that, although I'm not much of a collector, I am a severe book geek, to the point where I attend book fairs whenever possible. I'm a sucker for stained page edges, marbled anything, ribbon bookmarks, slipcases, leather or cloth, special paper...

I also think I should've included Patrick Ewing and Isiah Thomas (the one from the Detroit Pistons, in the 80s-90s) in my "smart enough to respect" bit.
millertek

Post by millertek »

Hi everyone! I have been collecting SK for more than 25 years - and love this website and this forum! Let me know if you have any questions!

steve miller
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Hi everyone. I'm Alan from a tiny country of 5 million people called Scotland. I'm retired now, but used to be in the oil industry. Two grown-up kids and 3 grandchildren.

My first King book was the UK paperback of Carrie in 1975, so I've been a King fan for a while.

I collect pre-Carrie juvenalia, manuscripts, signed/lettered editions, signed/numbered editions, trade editions signed during the year of release, and just about any other King signed item.

Good to meet you all.
stm08007

Post by stm08007 »

Hi everyone!

I am from Connecticut and am 28 years old. I got my first taste of King when I read EOTD in middle school (so about 15 years ago). I read a few more books over the next few years, but eventually took a hiatus for a few years. I read the Mr Mercedes trilogy when it came out and that totally refueled my fandom. After reading Finders Keepers is when I started my collection-- I am mainly going for 1/1s (with tons of help from this site) and I need about 10 to finish that quest. Speaking of quests, I am currently working my way through The Dark Tower (just finished IV), while trying to read the books with major connections along the way.