Early Doubleday editions

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jwilkinson404

Early Doubleday editions

Post by jwilkinson404 »

I have a total rookie question. Are the later printings that are still considered first editions (ie a Carrie 1st edition, 11th printing from 1990) the same physical size as the original 1st printings?

Thanks!
Sherlock Joe's

Re: Early Doubleday editions

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

When it comes to Carrie specifically, I know some of the Book Club printings were actually larger than the true Doubleday first printings.
jwilkinson404

Post by jwilkinson404 »

Thanks Joe. You are right about the book club editions they came in both a larger and smaller format. That’s actually what got me thinking. I have BCEs of Carrie and Salem’s that I picked up cheap for reading copies, Carrie is the large format and SL in the small.

I am pretty sure all the first printings through The Stand were 8.5” tall and Pet Sematary was the first Doubleday that was 9.5. The Vikings were all 9.5 I believe. But what I don’t know is if on later printings of the same editions everything switched to 9.5 or they kept the 8.5 format.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jwilkinson404 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:07 pm Thanks Joe. You are right about the book club editions they came in both a larger and smaller format. That’s actually what got me thinking. I have BCEs of Carrie and Salem’s that I picked up cheap for reading copies, Carrie is the large format and SL in the small.

I am pretty sure all the first printings through The Stand were 8.5” tall and Pet Sematary was the first Doubleday that was 9.5. The Vikings were all 9.5 I believe. But what I don’t know is if on later printings of the same editions everything switched to 9.5 or they kept the 8.5 format.
Yeah, If I understand the question I'm not sure when Doubleday switched sizes in their trade editions (or if they ever did in some titles)...or where the cutoff between 8.5 and 9.5 would have occurred. Likely it would have been different for each Doubleday book, as they were issued years apart with different print runs.

I have had BCE copies of Doubleday editions that were both 8.5 and 9.5; but frankly I try not to get any of the larger 9.5" Doubleday copies since that wasn't the format of the originals and really my only interest in the 9.5" versions was to make sure that I WASN'T buying that size by accident from someone.
jwilkinson404

Post by jwilkinson404 »

TheCollector wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:42 pm Yeah, If I understand the question I'm not sure when Doubleday switched sizes in their trade editions (or if they ever did in some titles)...or where the cutoff between 8.5 and 9.5 would have occurred. Likely it would have been different for each Doubleday book, as they were issued years apart with different print runs.

I have had BCE copies of Doubleday editions that were both 8.5 and 9.5; but frankly I try not to get any of the larger 9.5" Doubleday copies since that wasn't the format of the originals and really my only interest in the 9.5" versions was to make sure that I WASN'T buying that size by accident from someone.
Thanks Tomas, I meant between copies of the same title produced later just to clarify, but your reply covered that. Maybe I can find a seller and ask them to measure for me.
jwilkinson404

Post by jwilkinson404 »

Ok I think I found my answer, I found a Salem's 14th on Ebay with an image with a tape measure that is app 8.5