Questionable signature

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
CamFella

Questionable signature

Post by CamFella »

Is this horrible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mulleins

Re: Questionable signature

Post by mulleins »

Compared to other signed copies, it sure looks strange.

Here is one to compare:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234560014424?h ... SwOTNih3H2
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

That doesn't look remotely like the one in the Ebay link.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Just FYI, paperback with the aforementioned signature sold for $250 (had COA from Heritage Authentication).

Cam
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

FYI - in an auction, this Night Shift (unknown edition - auction house gave no indication) sold for $650.00 last night... this had a COA from Autograph Expert Union:

Meanwhile, in the same auction, this Storm of the Century flat signed sold for $150...

I suppose I am posting this because I am skeptical about the signatures and am confused by the price discrepancies.

Cam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Both forged signatures. Pure garbage.

Mulleins
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

All forgeries.
CamFella wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:33 am FYI - in an auction, this Night Shift (unknown edition - auction house gave no indication) sold for $650.00 last night... this had a COA from Autograph Expert Union:

Meanwhile, in the same auction, this Storm of the Century flat signed sold for $150...

I suppose I am posting this because I am skeptical about the signatures and am confused by the price discrepancies.

Cam
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

Out of curiosity and not judgement, why do people think the signatures in the images are forgeries?

I found https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sh ... 80-Present which has examples of SK's signature. What's interesting to me is that the tail end of the letter "p" in his first name is longer in the earlier signatures than it is in the more recent ones. Also, the loop from the letter "n" in his first name stays pretty consistent; however, his last name is more pushed together and looks more "rushed" in later years.

Again, just curious as I was killing time looking at posts ...
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Sherlock Joe's wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:59 pm Out of curiosity and not judgement, why do people think the signatures in the images are forgeries?

I found https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sh ... 80-Present which has examples of SK's signature. What's interesting to me is that the tail end of the letter "p" in his first name is longer in the earlier signatures than it is in the more recent ones. Also, the loop from the letter "n" in his first name stays pretty consistent; however, his last name is more pushed together and looks more "rushed" in later years.

Again, just curious as I was killing time looking at posts ...
Keep that link handy because SK's signature has changed a little bit over the years so if you have a copy that was dated in 1999 (for example) it helps to compare a known good signature from 1999 vs one from 2022.

But certain things are pretty consistent. Take a look at that Storm of the Century with it's holographic autographed signature.....Now go compare the signatures link. Do any of them have the big swirl from the letter N go up to form a shape like a start trek communicator badge? No, all of King's swirl marks are totally different. Has the S in Stephen looked anything remotely like whatever is going on with that S in Storm of the Century? Not when compared to the sheet of known good signatures from any year.
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

TheCollector wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:14 am But certain things are pretty consistent. Take a look at that Storm of the Century with it's holographic autographed signature.....Now go compare the signatures link. Do any of them have the big swirl from the letter N go up to form a shape like a start trek communicator badge? No, all of King's swirl marks are totally different. Has the S in Stephen looked anything remotely like whatever is going on with that S in Storm of the Century? Not when compared to the sheet of known good signatures from any year.
I see what you're saying about the capital "S" in the signature on Storm of the Century ... very loopy at the top and none of those signatures on the Dark Tower.org site has anywhere close to that sized loop.

I noticed that the signatures on that site show a decidedly lean to the right, especially early signatures, and the Century signature is almost straight up and down. I also see now that the "n" in his last name is almost unrecognizable in the signatures on the site (even as late as 2021), but pretty darn clear in the Century signature.

Appreciate the education (not being sarcastic).