Need help authenticating a Cujo first edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
ceramicpetals

Need help authenticating a Cujo first edition

Post by ceramicpetals »

Hello!

New to the whole collecting thing so I hope you can excuse some questions that may seem simple.

I bought a copy of Cujo from a seller that claims it's a first edition, 11th printing. The ISBN matches with records online.

I compared it to the tips on this website and the only differences are the price and the address of the publisher.

The Collector: Look for Viking's original Address on the copyright page and separately on the dustjacket. You should see 625 Madison Avenue on both.

The Book: 375 Hudson Street, New York

The Collector: Look for the issue price of $13.95 on the dustjacket

The Book: $23

The seller has been honest (will say if it's a book club edition, etc.) so I just want to confirm with more experienced collectors.

The discrepancies may suggest that this is NOT a first edition but since it's the 11th printing, maybe Viking changed addresses and increased the price of the book?
Ben Staad

Re: Need help authenticating a Cujo first edition

Post by Ben Staad »

This sounds like a 1st Edition and a later printing. Hence the address and price change. If you want a 1st Edition 1st Printing you would need to track down a copy with all the indicators provided on this site.

Here is an article that may be helpful for you.

https://www.qbbooks.com/why_first_ed.php

I'm sure others will chime in on this question.

Welcome to the forum.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Need help authenticating a Cujo first edition

Post by TheCollector »

Yeah, this stems from some less then fully descriptive naming conventions.....When folks talk about collecting 1st editions they really mean is a 1st printing of a 1st edition....Even though it's typically just referred to as a "1st edition" The article Ben linked explains it pretty well.

You even state in your post that the seller is saying it's a 1st edition / 11th printing. Which sounds pretty accurate, based on the higher price and later address on the DJ flap.

What you really want though is a 1st printing of a 1st edition. Which would have all the correct identifiers on the info page.