Newbie Questions...

Any questions related to limited editions
Flagg68

Newbie Questions...

Post by Flagg68 »

Hi Guys,

I've been a King fan since I was a kid, but only have a few limited editions (3 DT signed and numbered, and Later signed and numbered).

A couple of questions .

1. On average do LE fetch more as soon as they are released as people who missed out on them will FOMO bid on places like eBay, or on average is it the case that the longer you keep a King LE, the more it goes up in value?

2. I'm based in the UK. Is eBay the best place to sell, or any other options?

Thanks.
mulleins

Re: Newbie Questions...

Post by mulleins »

Welcome to a great site. I think your questions are great talking points. Hopefully I can answer without sounding confusing. I'm sure other members here will also chime in.

1. On average do LE fetch more as soon as they are released as people who missed out on them will FOMO bid on places like eBay, or on average is it the case that the longer you keep a King LE, the more it goes up in value?

So many things come into play when it comes to value up/down, limitation number, popularity of Kings story (IT, Later, Salem's, etc.). When Titan released Joyland at $75, it sold out immediately due to the price and limited number made. Many collectors (like me) absorbed the book into their collections making immediate demand jump to the $300 range. After a few months (because of supply and demand) it started creeping up in value and isnt stopping. Not that the value is this high, but a Joyland S/L in slipcase sold the other day for $1200.
For a while you could pickup Salem's Lot S/L by Centipede Press $1100, but to find one now under $2500 is rare. So again, it's the popularity of the story and the limitation that drives most of King's prices around. So yes, some do increase with age. At the same time, other King limiteds take longer. Insomnia S/L is a very nicely done limited but it barely demands $450 and comes up for sale often. Not too long ago, you could grab a copy for $350-375. Why is this? Again, I believe it's the popularity of the story.

We are starting to see a major increase in values of King collectable copies because more and more King followers now want to collect and will pay the higher prices to obtain.

I'm based in the UK. Is eBay the best place to sell, or any other options?

We have a thread for selling here that is starting to attract many collectors (old and new).
eBay selling fees need to be taken into consideration before going there. I'm not going to lie, I buy King books from eBay all the time, so I'm not trying to knock them, just look into any fees to help you establish your price so you aren't surprised in the end.
I believe in the US we have a much larger collecting group so don't be afraid to offer shipping to the US when selling. For a book I want, I don't mind paying the extra to get it across the pond.

Hope all this gibberish I typed helps you and doesn't confuse you.

Ralph Mulleins

Fredstan5014

Post by Fredstan5014 »

I’m UK based, please could you drop me an email letting me know what you have for sale if interested in avoiding eBay fees? Or send a link to your eBay. Cheers! Freddie

Fredstan5014@gmail.com
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I would say that what a limited edition first gets released (take the literally now releasing LATER) for example, there is going to be a spike in prices right away that will last untill those that really want a copy have gotten one on the secondary market. Then follows a little bit of a drop into a "stable" price which should stay there for a number of months before slowly appreciating like all other SK books.

That's been the normal way of things, barring world events like recessions, pandemics, or other economic disasters which skew the values for a time until we get back to business as usual.