Slip cased books and Mylar covers

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
CamFella

Slip cased books and Mylar covers

Post by CamFella »

Do slip cased books require mylar covers since spines exposed? Thickness and fit are an issue - what is anybody's experience, if you do not mind (might be ridiculous question)?

Cam
Ben Staad

Re: Slip cased books and Mylar covers

Post by Ben Staad »

I put sleeves on them if the slip case allows for it. Some fit tighter than others.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Ben Staad wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am I put sleeves on them if the slip case allows for it. Some fit tighter than others.
Agreed. For the most part the slipcases don't allow it and honestly I rarely take a book off the shelf once it's there so it's not a big deal. If the cases does have room to but a brodart cover on it then I do it but once it's in a case I'm fine with it as is....I do store the books with the spine of the case facing out, not the spine of the book.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Me too. I don't usually say anything but I want to tell folks, who share photos, to turn the slipcase spine out on their bookshelves. Not really worried about spine fade on the case.
TheCollector wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm I do store the books with the spine of the case facing out, not the spine of the book.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

Ben Staad wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:18 pm Me too. I don't usually say anything but I want to tell folks, who share photos, to turn the slipcase spine out on their bookshelves. Not really worried about spine fade on the case.
TheCollector wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm I do store the books with the spine of the case facing out, not the spine of the book.
Ben, I agree with this with regards to aftermarket slipcases. But how do people feel about slipcases that come with a limited edition? For me it is 6 one way half a dozen the other, so I generally go with which ever looks more visually appealing (especially if the slipcase spine is blank).
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

For me the book spine is always in if there is a slipcase. However, as you said, it really is just the owners preference and unless you are storing books in an archival way there will always be some damage, to some portion, of the product.
amd013 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm Ben, I agree with this with regards to aftermarket slipcases. But how do people feel about slipcases that come with a limited edition? For me it is 6 one way half a dozen the other, so I generally go with which ever looks more visually appealing (especially if the slipcase spine is blank).