Questionable Signatures

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
CamFella

Questionable Signatures

Post by CamFella »

Found an auction that had two (2) SK signed books (Delores Clairborne and Night Shift - 1st edition). I was tempted, but after looking at the signatures I decided that these were certainly not genuine. The Night Shift eventually sold for ~$400.

Thoughts on these?
NightShift1st_HiBid.JPG
DeloresClaiborne1st_HiBid.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Questionable Signatures

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Both of these are very bad forgeries.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Thank you, Mr. Rabbit Trick. I suspected as much, but it is good to have confirmation. Astonishing that it sold without any due diligence - blind faith for $400? I queried the auctioneer as to authenticity with no response.

Cam
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'm no more of an expert on this than any other longtime collector - but that bottom one is just terrible. The K and G's especially.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

They are both bad. If the earlier dated one was more current day I may have looked at it a little harder however I still would have been suspicious of it. Good eye passing on these.

By the way I am no expert.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Mr. RT- As these both have inscriptions would you recommend reviewing that writing as well when trying to validate an SK signature?
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:27 am Both of these are very bad forgeries.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Without a doubt. Makes it easier.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Of all the SK inscriptions at which I looked in my books and on-line, I never saw one that was printed as the Night Shift inscription is - that was a big red flag to me. Has anyone else seen a printed inscription?

Cam
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Hello Cam

You're very smart for asking and getting opinions. I see forged copies sold on eBay everyday. Don't get me wrong, I also see legit copies sold as well. You've come to right place to ask (and please continue to ask). As you continue to collect King, you will pickup on what to look for. But again, please don't be afraid to ask for help, that's the fun of this site.

Ralph Mulleins
Virginia
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Acknowledged. Thank you, RM.

Regards,

Cam