Not-for-sale version of the shining -- For Sale!

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Not-for-sale version of the shining -- For Sale!

Post by TheCollector »

From Camelot Books: (Text of announcement, pics and better formatting will appear later in a link on the Salem's lot info page)

The Wait Is Over!
Here Are the Details
You Have All Been Waiting For!

Our initial announcement called this a "previously unknown" state of this book. We forgot some people on the internet take things too literally. Common sense would tell you that if it exists, someone has to know about it, it had to be made and handled by someone, in fact we've know about it since it was produced as we were lucky enough to be one of the four copies originally distributed. What we meant was that to the general public, to the vast majority of people out there, it was not known, and some of those that did claim to know about it muddied the waters up even more with inaccurate descriptions. Well here are the facts:

First a letter of Provenance regarding this special edition:

Followed by a recap of Subterranean Press' newsletter to its clients from earlier this week:

When we published Stephen King's The Shining six years ago, we also produced a not-for-sale edition that was limited to ten copies, specially bound, signed by King, with Roman numerals on the signature page.

We intended to auction off a copy on an annual basis, but one thing after another kept getting in the way, and the plan was back-burnered.

Our friends from Camelot Books made us a standing offer for the copies that we had not already distributed, which we recently accepted. (All proceeds we receive from the books, less shipping costs, has been donated to The Haven Foundation. A check is already on the way to them.)

And finally, it was made aware to us that there was a post, many years ago, from Bill from Subterranean Press, which he completely forgot about, on the Dark Tower.org, which stated as follows:

We had ten signature pages left over, and had them bound with 217 debossed on the book's cover. Four of these copies, which will bear Roman numerals, are already intended for private collections. The plan is to auction the remaining copies, one per year, with all the proceeds -- we're eating the production costs, etc. -- going to The Haven Foundation.

When we auction off the first copy, we'll put a notice in our email newsletter. Please sign up if you're interested.

I should add that, as far as production values go, these copies can't compete with the actual lettered edition.

Best,

Bill"

That is the whole story, other than how we came up with the price, because I know someone out there is going to claim we purchased these for a pittance and that it is our intention to take advantage of the situation.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
So here is the rest of the story.

Sometime back, when it became apparent in our minds that Bill was too swamped to do anything with these books, we made him an offer. An offer, I might add, that exceeds what we have paid for any six books (keep in mind over the years we have sold such things as the Asbestos Firestarter, Asbestos Fahrenheit 451, Roman Numeraled Salem's Lot and the like). In fact, the check we wrote to Subterranean Press, less the shipping costs, went directly to the Haven Foundation and was the largest single check ever written by Camelot Books!

After years of the books sitting in Subterranean Press' warehouse the offer was accepted. So we stepped up. Why? Because we saw that even paying what we paid there is, in our opinion, more of a potential return on our investment than the banks are paying us, even if we have to sit on them for awhile.

So, why did we pay so much? Because there are certainly more lavish Stephen King Signed Limited Editions out there, but (and I am sure someone will correct me) in our opinion there are few, if any, rarer states of a Stephen King Signed Limited Edition. And yes we have the six remaining copies that we will be offering for sale, four of them (V/X, VI/X, VIII/X, and IX/X which pictured below) now at the price listed below. If they do not all sell within a few days we will list the remaining copies on the website, BUT the price will be higher than our offering here. How much higher depends on how many of the initial four we sell! As for the other two copies, we are not interested in selling them at this time and will be placing them in our "Retirement Fund."

Description:
• Bound in Rich Black Leather debossed with the number 217
• Traycase bound in a beautiful Rich Blue Cloth, also debossed with the number 217 (sorry the pictures do not do the traycase justice).
• The remainder of the binding of both the book and traycase are free of any markings.
• Different Endpapers from the Lettered Edition
• The signature page is the same page, signed by Stephen King, as used in the Limited and Lettered Editions, each numbered with Roman numerals, I/X through X/X
• These have never been offered for sale. With a little deduction you should be able to figure out where the first four went and realize someone is probably going to have to die for those to make it to the secondary market.
Below are actual pictures of IX/X, the initial copy being offered for sale. Subsequent people seeking to purchase a copy will be provided a number and corresponding pictures so that you can be sure of the book you are getting. Sorry, we cannot get the color of the blue cloth to show up the way it should. It is a rich blue and not the dull blue shown in the pictures. The color of the cloth you can see on the open traycase picture is closer to the true color of the cloth.

Now, on to how you can become an owner of this special
edition and how we are going to handle it:

The price is $12,500.00 plus shipping.

I will have to figure shipping manually as it will only be shipped via UPS, overnight, fully insured, and with a Signature Requirement on it.

We will only be accepting payment via a wire transfer. No credit cards or PayPal on this one and no lay-away (outright purchase only)

This initial offering will not be listed on our website. If you are interested in purchasing a copy then you must e-mail me at Kim@Camelotbooks.com and I'll get back with you. A phone call will not secure you a copy, Sales will be based upon receipt of your e-mail.

You are welcome to list your numeric preference, BUT unless your e-mail says "I want to buy a copy," a copy will not be set aside for you. Our hopes are these will sell quickly, and we don't want there to be any confusion from someone we think is simply "asking a question", when they think "I am purchasing this!" Once we get your request to purchase, (IX will go first), if you request a specific number, we will send you pictures of your choice, if it is available, or if not available, one of the other remaining copies. You will have to get back to us within an hour by e-mail or phone to confirm you are satisfied with "your book" as there are slight differences in each simply because of the binding. While 99.9% of our customers would not notice any differences, we don't want any issues with that .1%. Remember, if you decline a copy, there is always a chance during this time that the remaining copies will be gone.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Not-for-sale version of the shining -- For Sale!

Post by TheCollector »

Just a quick update that Camelot Books reports all available copies have been sold.

As a reminder, they are holding 2 of these back for sale at some future date.
kingfan2323

Re: Not-for-sale version of the shining -- For Sale!

Post by kingfan2323 »

Damn this is a cool looking book. Controversy aside I would love to have it 8n my collection.