Cujo First Edition?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
GordonShumway

Cujo First Edition?

Post by GordonShumway »

Hi everyone, first time reader first time poster!

I have two copies of Cujo, both of which meet all the criteria of being a first edition according to the criteria on this site. Only, on the copyright page, one of them has a number line (which goes down to 3), and one of them does not have a number line at all.

Are both of these first editions, and the number line just means "first edition third printing?" Or is that one a third edition?

Thanks! :)
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Cujo First Edition?

Post by TheCollector »

So while the TLDR to your question is .....that it's likely a 1st edition 3rd printing

It doesn't really matter in terms of value, if it's not a 1st edition / 1st printing then it's not typically considered collectible on the secondary market. Add to that the fact that in daily use, most people refer to additional printings as editions even though that's technically not true there's a lot of confusion out there due to poor terminology.

Here's good article from booklibris.com that goes into the details. Also this site at firstsecondbooks.com

Basically if a book had no changes to it and was just printed again then it's still the same edition but a different printing. If some meaningful changes were made to the book then it's a different edition.
GordonShumway

Post by GordonShumway »

Cool so the one withOUT the number line is a true first edition first printing?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

WIthout a number line and some other characteristics. A list of them is on the 1st edition page
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/1st/cujo.html
GordonShumway

Post by GordonShumway »

Awesome thank you, that’s what I have! And I only paid 9 bucks for it at a Half Price Books! 🤑