DT s/l PC set query

Any questions related to limited editions
jimimck

DT s/l PC set query

Post by jimimck »

Hi team.

For a while now I've seen this partial DT set on eBay and wondered why it hasn't sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231281532232

It's a PC set, DTII through to WTTK.

Every now and then I consider setting my self up for divorce and making an offer, as the seller is avtually local for me. But then reality sets in and I realize I really can't spend that sort of money on books.

But I still feel the need to understand what these are worth, just in case I go nuts and make an offer.

Are these priced too high and that's why they haven't sold? Do people just not want PC editions?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: DT s/l PC set query

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

The price is fine, but there is no demand for PC editions. The collectors who collect these editions already have them.

If you bought this set and wanted to sell it later, for whatever reason, remember the time this set took to sell.
racerx45

Post by racerx45 »

The other issue is that they only made 13 PC versions of The Gunslinger so if you wanted to complete the set you made be in for a long and expensive wait. Betts has a complete PC set for sale but at $17,000 and it has been there for some time now. Even being a one of 13 set; the demand for PC issued limited editions is low.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks for the comments.
I'm not too worried about them being PC copies, and doubt I would ever complete a matching PC set either.

But RT you make a good point about how long it has already taken to sell. While I'm don't intend to sell my books, at that level of investment I would always want to know I could get my money back if I wanted/needed, and that may not be that easy based on the points you both raise.

Food for thought I guess. I should just tell my wife about them and she will remove the decision all together lol

Cheers
James
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Sorry to be out of the discussion for so long, I was hosting my family all last week, back to my regular schedule finally :)

The lack of offers on this is indeed an example of how soft the PC market is, but I have to say I think that means it has the highest up side potential long term....The PC collectors seem to have vanished with the recession a few years back but if even 10-20 new collectors come into the market and realize that they can get the same exact book at 20-40% off and start collecting PC editions it should firm up these PC editions nicely.

IS that guaranteed to happen? No. But whenever any item trades for a huge discount, often bargain hunters eventually step up.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

So Tomas, by that do you take it to mean that the asking price of $5k is a bargain? What would you place the value at?

David at Betts posted elsewhere he would undervalue the set compared to a numbered set purely because the chance of ever completing a PC set was so low (he believes there are five accounted for PC complete sets, leaving only 7 PC gunslingers out there in the world to potentially find/buy to complete this partial set).

He said around $4500 tops for this set.

Thoughts?
racerx45

Post by racerx45 »

I did the “math” and came up with a reasonable price as $4,250 to $4,500 for that set. I took the low-end values of the numbered version and then took of 30% off of that. That’s just my opinion.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

But I still feel the need to understand what these are worth, just in case I go nuts and make an offer.

Are these priced too high and that's why they haven't sold? Do people just not want PC editions?[/quote]

I think you should make an offer. If I followed this correctly just adding Vol I (what $4-5k for a PC?) and you have a set that is listed for $17k on Bett's. We see numbered sets listed for $25k.

I imagine the seller has been looking for that elusive Gunsligner, but your chances of finding one are so better then a number.

Plus you are saving $100s in postage. I think it's a good investment.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:So Tomas, by that do you take it to mean that the asking price of $5k is a bargain? What would you place the value at?

David at Betts posted elsewhere he would undervalue the set compared to a numbered set purely because the chance of ever completing a PC set was so low (he believes there are five accounted for PC complete sets, leaving only 7 PC gunslingers out there in the world to potentially find/buy to complete this partial set).

He said around $4500 tops for this set.

Thoughts?
No, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that this is around an average price for your typical set of #2-WTTKH, and if you looked at the market before the "great recession" that ended in 2009 (as I hear the economist call it) a PC set would have had a similar price, occasionally even greater price than it's numbered counterpart.

These days though, PC sets are selling at substantial discounts to their numbered counterparts, meaning that the difference between someone marking #823 vs PC in the numberline of an otherwise identical book can be hundreds of dollars in difference.

Should more collectors hop into collecting King, I think at least some of the new guys will take the opportunity to buy the PC copies at their discounted prices, which could make them show up less often in the market, making the prices on them go back up to the plus or minus 10% of numbered editions they used to be before 2009, instead of the minus 20-30% they are now.

Does that make sense? Oh in terms of what a good deal on it is...well I think we can all agree that barring the occasional great ebay deal, Betts pretty sets the floor on King pricing Here's there last sale of non-maching DT books

Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three S/L #144 Fine/Fine $1050 SOLD
Dark Tower III: Waste Lands S/L # Publisher's Copy Fine-/Fine - tiny bump to one board corner $400 SOLD
Dark Tower IV: Wizard & Glass S/L #720 Fine/Fine $650 SOLD
Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla S/L # 1202 Fine/Fine $350 SOLD
Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah S/L #1332 Fine/Fine $350 sold
Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower S/L #140 Fine/Fine $350 sold
Dark Tower: Little Sisters of Eluria S/L #276 Fine/Fine $350 sold
Dark Tower: Wind Through the Keyhole S/L #276 Fine/Fine $1100 sold

TOTAL FOR 2-WTTKH = $4,600

Now, we all know that a non-matching set is going to sell for less than a matching set but most of these prices are as low as I've ever seen copies go for.. but again these days Betts sets the pricing floor (and sells them quick, often multiple offers to buy are emailed within hours). I think other bookstores would have this non-matching set at $5,000 - $6,000 easy. Take 20-30% off the "retail" and you've got $4,000 - $4,500ish on the value of this PC set.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

I am curious, any thoughts on:

What would a full PC set fetch....compared to a full mix numbered set?