Colerado Kid - First Edition, WHich one is correct?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
MJLInsights

Colerado Kid - First Edition, WHich one is correct?

Post by MJLInsights »

Wanted to add into the mix for this statement on the Colerado Kid 1st Editions Page:

"This title is identified as a first printing by having 3 (Three) sets of UPC numbers on the back over. The necessary numbers to identify and insure a first printing are "50599" above the 5 digit UPC to the right of the larger bar-code. The "50599" with corresponding bar-code is the identifier needed. Later printings will have a different number. Please note: the alpha-numeric "HCC-013" on the copyright page is NOT an accurate identifier for a first printing. The "HCC-013" is present on later printings as well. The only identification point for a first edition, first printing is the 5 digit UPC code "50599"."

I have two copies of this paperback as seen here:

Based on the above statement at first glance the one on the left is the first Printing, right?

So here is my dilemma:

The copy on the right also has the 50599 code but it is on the inside front cover.

So the question is which is the true First edition?

Was the first printing produced with the wrong code so had to have it overprinted on the Inside Cover making the correction and putting the right code on the back as a later printing?
Or
Was it published correctly with the 50599 on the back (as per left copy) and future printings got it wrong and had to correct the mistake by overprinting on the inside cover?

Logic tells me that making the mistake in the first instance would make more sense.

Interested in peoples take on this, please let me know, and thanks.