Carrie 1st Edition / which printing?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Father Cody

Carrie 1st Edition / which printing?

Post by Father Cody »

Hi all, this is my first post so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I have a first edition copy of Carrie that I believe is an early printing because it's lacking a number line. It's not a first printing because it doesn't state "First Edition" on the copyright page, nor does it have a P6 gutter code. It's not a BCE because there's a list price of $7.95. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which printing it is based on the gutter code. The gutter code is V8. Any idea? Thanks in advance.
jhanic

Re: Carrie 1st Edition / which printing?

Post by jhanic »

Hi Adam, This topic was discussed a couple times in TDT.org. Here's one:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... tter+codes

John
Father Cody

Post by Father Cody »

Thanks, John. So that would mean it was printed in February, 1980. If the prevailing theory is correct, and they only did one print run per year, that would make it a 6th printing. What the Doubleday employee responded to Tomas’s email with, however, kind of destroys that theory, no? If the gutter code has to do with plant location and equipment then for all I know this copy I have could be a 2nd printing.

Frustrating that Doubleday couldn’t be more specific. Tomas’s post with that email thread was one day shy of a decade ago. I wonder if they’d be more helpful now.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I wouldn't count on any Doubleday employee. I'm sure anyone who was there at the time is long gone. Turnover is very high and their records leave a lot to be desired. Also, I'm sure there were more printings than one a year, especially given the popularity of the movie.

John
Father Cody

Post by Father Cody »

I see. Too bad, could be fun to find out. I agree that it’s unlikely there was only one printing per year.

They started adding number lines at a minimum of 12 printings (if I’m correctly remembering the number line on a copy I previously owned) which just confuses me even more. I’ll just stick with “early printing” whenever I describe it. Thanks again, John!