What makes a lettered edition?

Any questions related to limited editions
jonp

What makes a lettered edition?

Post by jonp »

I have a lettered edition of Cujo in my collection that is identical to a numbered edition apart from having a letter on the limitation page instead of a number. I have also got a copy of the PS edition of Pet Sematary which has a letter instead of a number. It is identical to the signed edition and was sent out to Lifetime subscribers. Would you call this a lettered copy similar to Cujo? Would it be any more valuable than a numbered copy?

Regards Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Re: What makes a lettered edition?

Post by jhanic »

jonp wrote:I have a lettered edition of Cujo in my collection that is identical to a numbered edition apart from having a letter on the limitation page instead of a number. I have also got a copy of the PS edition of Pet Sematary which has a letter instead of a number. It is identical to the signed edition and was sent out to Lifetime subscribers. Would you call this a lettered copy similar to Cujo? Would it be any more valuable than a numbered copy?

Regards Jon
The lettered edition of any of King's books is considered more valuable than the numbered one, although, as you point out, the only difference in some volumes is that it has a letter instead of a number. Some of King's works have been published with a very different lettered version than that of the numbered and these are considered much more valuable (such as those published by Cemetery Dance).

John
jonp

Post by jonp »

Thanks for your reply John.
Would you class the PS Christine in the photo as a lettered edition or just a numbered edition that has a letter C on it?
Regards
Jon
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

John hit it right on the head (as usual). It's all up to the publisher on whether they use the same book but mark some with letters vs numbers, or if they take the time out to make a different. Either way the lettered is more valuable than the limited.

The books are classified by how they're sold. The weird thing on the 30th Anniversary editions is that PS Publishing lists only 750 numbered copies on their site, there is no mention of a "lettered" edition. Until I saw there was a lettered edition I'd have to treat it as a numbered copy.
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

He did say that the edition was sent to lifetime subscribers. Is it possible that no lettered editions were available to the "general" public because they were all sent to the lifetime subscribers? Hence not seeing them available for sale on their web site.

Bob
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Bob M wrote:He did say that the edition was sent to lifetime subscribers. Is it possible that no lettered editions were available to the "general" public because they were all sent to the lifetime subscribers? Hence not seeing them available for sale on their web site.

Bob
Huh, if someone wants to drop a line to Sub Press and ask about it that would be great. Some details on who recieved lettereds, why and how many were done. If not I'll get to it when I can but it'll likely be after these joyland cases ship out. Got to fill those orders before I put on my sherlock hat :mrgreen:
craigobau

Post by craigobau »

I emailed PS Publishing this morning to ask about the lettered edition (a guy selling one on ebay said the lettered edition was limited to 26 copies as PS had only issued 26 deluxe lifetime subscriptions).

Will post when I hear back.
jonp

Post by jonp »

btw PS Christine was not issued as a lettered to subscribers due to production issues at the printers limiting numbers and subscribers received the unsigned edition instead.
Jon
craigobau

Post by craigobau »

I received an email last night from PS Publishing regarding the lettered editions which said "We produced 750 signed and slipcased editions but no lettered copies. Why do you ask?".

I responded, explaining that apparently lifetime PS subscribers had the ability to order a lettered edition so I'll post whatever follow-up response I receive.

Craig.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

craigobau wrote:I received an email last night from PS Publishing regarding the lettered editions which said "We produced 750 signed and slipcased editions but no lettered copies. Why do you ask?".

I responded, explaining that apparently lifetime PS subscribers had the ability to order a lettered edition so I'll post whatever follow-up response I receive.

Craig.
Thanks Craig, feel free to grab a copy of the photo here if it helps figure out if this is a lettered edition or....as I'm sort of mulling it over, maybe a PC copy that was quickly marked C?" (long shot looking at the photo but I'm just throwing out some theories at this point).