Joyland Illustrated

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jwilkinson404

Joyland Illustrated

Post by jwilkinson404 »

Hello all.

Were there multiple versions or printings of the trade hardcover of Joyland Illustrated? There doesn't seem to be any indication on the copyright page. The reason I ask is that I picked up a CD slipcase from Betts a little while ago and I don't think I can get the book in there without damaging either the dust jacket or the case.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Joyland Illustrated

Post by TheCollector »

I think the Illustrated version is a smidge thicker than the original Joyland release....but I'm not sure if there were multiple printings of the illustrated edition itself. My guess is no though, as it's not easy to find a copy. If it was being reprinted there should be plenty of copies everywhere.

Little pro-tip on cases, the glue can shrink a little over time if you're just storing the case empty. If you put the spine of the case against your chest, curl your fingers in the case and pull outwards/apart in the corners you can loosen up the glue a bit and give the book an extra millimeter of clearance...sometimes that's all that's needed between a tight fit and a good fit.
jwilkinson404

Re: Joyland Illustrated

Post by jwilkinson404 »

Thanks Tomas. I am not sure we are talking apples to apples. I was referring to the trade hardcover edition of Joyland illustrated not the limited. It is easy to find and can still be purchased from Amazon. I noticed when I see copies for sale whether on Abe, biblio or eBay that no one makes any mention of the printing number, which seems odd in itself. When I checked the copyright page there is no reference I noticed only that the TPB was the first edition. CD made the slipcase specifically for the trade illustrated edition. It has sat for a while, empty I assume for the last 7 years. Maybe if I put the book in without the DJ and let it sit for a week it will “stretch” a little. The other thing I noticed is that the case is a little deeper than normal, usually with my CD slipcases the spine of the book sits a little proud of the case when full inserted, but it looks like this copy will go all in and more. That’s why I wondered if maybe my copy was different somehow. I know they made 2 Joyland cases, one for the illustrated and one for the TPB but the PB is considerably smaller so I don’t think that’s the mix up.