Remarques - What are they?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jjfischer7

Remarques - What are they?

Post by jjfischer7 »

As a new book collector and someone almost entirely focused on Stephen King books, I don't yet understand Remarques. I'm interested in learning more about what they are and how they fit in the King collecting universe.

Clearly, new to me. I do not own any yet. Another interesting subject to learn more about. I found some posts on collectability of remarques, but not much else. Thought it might be a good collecting remarques 101 topic.

Meaning, the Remarques that are presented here are all one of kind original art works? How are these usually marketed and collected? Are they typically directly drawn in the book and / or as a separate piece and included with the book? Are they prints of original art work that are added to which make them unique? All of the above? Are they typically signed. Artist book editions? How do you authenticate them?

I appreciate any help in learning more.

Thanks
jwilkinson404

Re: Remarques - What are they?

Post by jwilkinson404 »

jjfischer7 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:19 pm As a new book collector and someone almost entirely focused on Stephen King books, I don't yet understand Remarques. I'm interested in learning more about what they are and how they fit in the King collecting universe.

Clearly, new to me. I do not own any yet. Another interesting subject to learn more about. I found some posts on collectability of remarques, but not much else. Thought it might be a good collecting remarques 101 topic.

Meaning, the Remarques that are presented here are all one of kind original art works? How are these usually marketed and collected? Are they typically directly drawn in the book and / or as a separate piece and included with the book? Are they prints of original art work that are added to which make them unique? All of the above? Are they typically signed. Artist book editions? How do you authenticate them?

I appreciate any help in learning more.

Thanks
I am pretty new around here myself, but I can help with what I know while we wait for the gurus to show up.

Remarques, as I know them, are artwork drawn directly into the book, I usually see them on the title page. Because they are drawn directly into the book, they are all unique, even though many might be similar, I don't think any artist can draw exactly the same piece of work twice. They are signed and most of the time dated, but not always.

I think any remarque will add value to a book, but a remarque can add significant value when the right artist adds a remarque in the right book (more details below).

How do they get there? It seems that when artists are signing a stack of books for a publisher (think Cemetery Dance Artist and Lettered editions) they may remarque a handful of the copies as they go. I am not sure if this is requested by the publisher or just to break up the monotony of signing a thousand books. If you look at Overlook Connection, they will sell you pretty much any book with a Glen Chadbourne remarque, whether he had anything to do with the book in the first place or not (I think they would sell you a Chardbourne remarqued King James bible if you asked). I don't think having Glen's remarque in a book adds as much value if it was a book he did not contribute to. I have also heard that you can contact Chadbourne directly from his website and commission him to remarque books you send him. I have thought of doing this as I have many titles where Chadbourne was, indeed, the artist. However, I am currently spending way too much money buying books to have any money for that. Maybe once the list of editions I need to complete my collection (is it ever really complete?) gets a lot shorter. I hope other artist do this, but I have not heard of any specifically.
Last edited by jwilkinson404 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjfischer7

Post by jjfischer7 »

Thanks for taking the time to share. That helps. I appreciate it.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

jjfischer7 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:18 pm Thanks for taking the time to share. That helps. I appreciate it.
As a collector of remarqued copies (or add value drawings some of us call them), his response is spot on.

For the most part, I only collect a remarqued copy if the artist had something to do with the book (jacket or interior artwork).

Ralph A Mulleins
---------------------------
Authors Page- https://tinyurl.com/3wr4tcsd