Publishers Copies (PC) editions

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
CamFella

Publishers Copies (PC) editions

Post by CamFella »

I have noticed over the past year or so that Cemetery Dance has been clearing out their warehouse(s) and offering the excess / left over stock being found via eBay auctions (https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/auctions/). There are books other than King books, yet from what I have seen, the vast majority of the King books are listed as PC (assuming all the desired limited numbered copies have been purchased / shipped).

I am curious to know how publishers copies where PC is substituted for the number of a limited edition book are viewed by the collecting public. Are they valued differently? Numbered editions are preferred from comments I have received as well as sought especially considering if one is collecting matching numbered sets: However, I have noticed that some of these PC editions are just as costly as the numbered variations.

This may have been discussed previously. If so, Mr. Moderator, please direct me to the appropriate thread. I did an advance search of this forum and came up with sporadic mentions only.

Cam
mulleins

Re: Publishers Copies (PC) editions

Post by mulleins »

Great conversation Cam

My opinion.....I collect a book for the signature (author and artist) and content, not a number. The only time a number means anything to me is if I'm collecting a limited set that belongs together. So, to me, number or PC doesn't matter.

I believe most publishers always have a small overrun with blank numbers just incase a book gets damaged in shipping or prep for shipping. Once the publisher verifies all successful deliveries, the blank books are labeled as PC, Publisher Copy, Artist Copy, Authors Copy, etc. and stored or sold.

Again, just my opinion.

Mulleins
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

It's been my experience that PC copies are selling at a discount to regular S/L copies.

Personally I think they represent great value as they are the identical book. As Mulleins says they are additional copies made in case of damage etc it's just that they have not been numbered - and if they're eventually not needed the publisher ultimately writes in PC or Publishers Copy instead of a number.

Back before the great recession there were a few collectors out there that sought out PC copies specifically which kept the price more in line with S/L copies. Those guys just aren't there anymore and have not been replaced so the demand is lower. Considering that there aren't all that many PC copies floating around compared to S/L copies, it would only take a handful of folks to start actively looking for PC copies to drive the price up again. But it hasn't happened yet.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

It is generally regarded that PC copies are 20% less than numbered/lettered. This info comes from the Rare King site on FB.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

Thank you for the succinct replies. Interesting insights. To follow the logic chain, it seems a bit of backward logic that a 20% discount to s/l editions if PC's are more scarce: However, I understand the sentiment.

I do own PCs under the rationale that I would rather have a PC than not have a s/l copy (or any copy for that matter). I suppose this is the same argumentation that might take place consequently with BCEs, but with a much more feisty bent.

To each their own.

Regards,

Cam
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

And that my friend is what makes collecting so individualized and fun. You said it best "To each their own".

Mulleins