Book Club Edition different sizes

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Valvoa

Book Club Edition different sizes

Post by Valvoa »

Hello everyone,

I have several book club editions of King's earlier work. All clearly state book club edition on the inside flap and are of smaller size. I came accrss full versions of Cujo, Firestarter, and Carrie but it does not state book club edition on the inside flap nor does it have a price. These are still technically book club edition yes? Really nice condition but I'm assuming aren't worth a whole lot...Nice to have regarless until I can get my hands of first edition.

If these are book club edition are they any more rare than a smaller book club edition? Trying to figure out when they were released in comparison to the smaller bc and regular versions, thank you!
mulleins

Re: Book Club Edition different sizes

Post by mulleins »

It sounds like you have some of the King Book Club copies. Full size, but no jacket prices.

As you mentioned, no real value money wise, but they do make great fillers until you locate a true first.

Mulleins
Valvoa

Post by Valvoa »

Yeah they look great. These book club copies you speak of, I can't find much information on them. Were they created after smaller book club editions? Trying to understand the reasoning behind them, appreciate the response.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hello Valvoa,

Welcome to the forums! Yes you'll find earlier Doubleday bookclub editions in both 8.5" and 9.5" heights.

Since BC editions aren't really collectible I don't think there's much information about them.

As to why they exist at all... they were created to help sell subscriptions to BMOC (Book of the Month Club) and similar services. There's no price on the dustjackets because BMOC members didn't pay per book, they paid for the subscription.

As to the two different sizes, the Doubleday books started out as 8.5" sized hardbacks so I assume the earlier BC editions stuck with that size. Later on 9.5" became more prevelant so I think they just moved over to that size.

I don't think there's much of a price difference between the two because sellers so rarely put the size in the listings. Every time I've gone looking for BC editions I've had to contact the sellers and specifically ask about it.