Lisey's Story - UK Limited Edition bundle

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
belladonnabooks

Lisey's Story - UK Limited Edition bundle

Post by belladonnabooks »

Hi

Tomas very kindly suggested I let you all know about a collection of Lisey's Story material that I have for sale on ebay UK at the moment. I used to work at the publisher and had these items in storage.

Lisey’s Story UK proof/ARC
Lisey’s Story first edition (NB this is not signed)
2 signed Lisey’s Story bookplates
Invitation to VIP publication party attended by Stephen King

more details here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stephen-King ... olid=20008
The books have never been read, everything is in very good condition. The bookplates were personally signed by SK when he visited the UK to launch the book.

I also have a UK proof of Under the Dome, still in its PVC cover, and one of the slipcase limited editions, number 6, which I haven’t listed yet but I will be sure to let you know when I do.

Thank you for your interest

B
mulleins

Re: Lisey's Story - UK Limited Edition bundle

Post by mulleins »

Will you send to the US if won by someone on this side of the pond?

I would like to bid. When King signed the bookplates, I ordered one off eBay along with a book from the event. However, come to find out, the seller sent a "copy" of the bookplate. He did this to a few people before eBay removed his account.

It would be nice to finally get a real sign bookplate to go with my UK Lisey`s Story.

Ralph Mulleins
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

Dear B
I have a few questions about the Nov.8th INVITATION VIP PARTY. First did you attend? Do you know how many invitations were sent out? I assume King signed 500 bookplates & the party was RSVP so the party knew just how many books to inlay the bookplates in. (if 350 people called in their RSVP then only 350 bookplates were glued in the books & the 150 left over bookplates were handed out at signings?) My Lisey's Story bundle includes 1.Invitation, 1 1st edition book (with pasted in signed bookplate) 1 Lisey's Story paperweight & 1 metal Lisey's Story bookmark. I have always assumed
that because these bookplates were created for this RSVP party that the books given away are a SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION? But have never seen them listed as one.Can you add anymore info about the party?
THANK YOU
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I was at the Border's signing. The signing went on for 2 hours. The people left in the queue after the signing were given signed bookplates.
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

What we need to know is how many bookplates did King sign? Just to discover how many of the free signed limited book plated books where given out at the RSVP party?
belladonnabooks

Hi

I posted a reply to Ralph but it's not showing - I'm not sure if it's gone to him only but I will repeat that I'm sorry you didn't get an authentic bookplate before.

I've also been asked about posting to the US from some ebayers. I am happy to do so. I will try to get to the Post Office soon for some prices, although I do know that international mail has increased in costs recently.

Thanks for your interest

B
belladonnabooks

OK, so, the party

It was a while ago, so by the sounds of things, you guys know more than I can remember. But yes, I was there. I was also at the Borders signing, and the talk/signing in Battersea held by Waterstones. If there are pics of that signing then I am one of the people on SK's RHS at the table moving the line along.

The party was in a very old, very beautiful hall used by the legal profession in London for centuries. Have a look online. Stephen King was playing guitar with a band so some of the space in the room was taken by the musicians and their stand. I remember that the room was busy and buzzy but not packed and uncomfortable. It was a really lovely evening, even though I was working / looking after guests, etc. I would say 150 were there at any one time, coming and going through the course of the evening. SK seemed very pleased to have time for music rather than books, after a busy few days in the UK. I don't recall him mingling much but was happy to speak to those who came up during breaks. This event was for the publisher, agents, special guests and VIP booksellers, rather than the fans so much less frantic and focused than the signings.

There are lots of questions about the bookplates and how many were done and why, and I'm sorry I can't recall the specific details so it's quite good to hear that they were handed out to people in the queues who didn't manage to get an actual signed copy. (I am glad that I wasn't the one to cut the line at the Battersea event I can tell you!) I suspect there were hundreds rather than thousands, as SK would have signed thousands of books on the US and UK tour anyway and I don't recall him ever doing more than 500 tip-ins for any of the signed limited editions for the UK. I would suspect, though again you probably know this better than me, that most if not all of the bookplates will have been stuck into books at the time, but it doesn't make them official limited editions and that wasn't the intention behind them. How you regard them now is another matter.

The metal bookmarks were done for Waterstones as a special giveaway for the first 5000 customers who bought from their shops. We had done a similar thing with the phone charms when we published Cell and it had worked really well then so we wanted something to drive people into the shops in the first week and really push sales and get a chart position. I'm sorry I didn't keep examples of these, they were fun and a bit groundbreaking at the time.

The paperweight I had completely forgotten about! These are rare and only special guests or VIPs got one. I never got one and I'm pretty sure none of my team or my buyers did. Well done for acquiring one CB.

This has been a lovely wander down memory lane and I'll try to remember more details about this and the other titles I worked on. Do please ask if you have more questions.

B
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

Thank you for all your information.

I will keep an eye on the auction.

Ralph
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

Dear B
THANK YOU for the party info. It is interesting that the Border's signing was on the 7th & the unused signed book plates where handed out the day before the party. The info on the paperweight box states (STEPHEN KING Limited edition paperweight commemorating the publication of LISEY'S STORY Wednesday 8th November,Middle Temple Hall,London) info on line states only 500 paperweights where made. Any guess on how many RSVPs
came to the party?
GOOD LUCK with the bundle
BRUCE
belladonnabooks

Hi CB

Thanks for your interest again.

I'm not sure if the assertion that the bookplates were created specifically and only for the party has been made in any previous posts, but that's not my recollection. I do remember that we were concerned that fans would be disappointed if they didn't get a signature if we ran out of time at events, so it does make sense that we would have organised signed bookplates to compensate, as one of the previous posters has indicated. It could be that the bookplates were done for both the signing events and the party, but it was a long time ago and I can't recall specifics in this matter.

Sorry again, but I don't recall the bookplates, books or the paperweights being given out at the party. That's not to say it didn't happen, I just don't remember. I'm surprised at the news that 500 paperweights were made - that may have been the minimum order quantity specified by the manufacturer. The first and only time I ever saw a paperweight IRL was a few days after the party - there was one on my boss's desk.

While myself and members of my team, and other departments, would have contributed suggestions for the party invitation list, I have no idea what the final RSVP list would be, certainly not after all this time. But if you look at the website details for Middle Temple Hall, it currently has a maximum capacity for a Reception of 294. As some of the floorspace was taken by the band and their equipment, that number would have been reduced. It would be against pretty strict fire and safety regulations for more than the stated capacity to be allowed in the Hall and the organisers would have been aware of that when the list was finalised. I hope this helps you figure out what you want to know.

Thank you for your good wishes regarding the bundle - while it brings back very nice memories for me, it's time those items were out of storage and truly appreciated. I hope they are the missing pieces in a collection for someone who has been searching for them.

B