Dark Tower Series

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
BritOverseas69

Dark Tower Series

Post by BritOverseas69 »

Hi All

I have a couple of questions.

I am thinking about selling my collection of signed Dark Tower US 1sts. I have F/F 2-8 (or 2-7 plus 4.5) all signed (no bookplates) by King, all from verifiable sources with receipts. Only Ltd is the 4.5 (or 8), all the rest are bog standard 1st's, which I am hoping most prefer.....

Intention was to get the whole series but I never could get a #1 for anything but moonshot money and I would rather do something else with this money now.

Have been doing a bit of research on Abebooks and stuff and can't find any #4's for sale anywhere (signed F/F), is there some reason for that do you think..

Question is, would you sell them as a 'Set' or separately, and any suggestions on prices???
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Dark Tower Series

Post by TheCollector »

Hello, thanks for posting!

So you have

DT-2 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT-3 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT4 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT5 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT6- 1st trade edition Flatsigned by King
DT-7 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
Little Sisters of Eluria - Limited Edition

Is that right? No Gunslinger or Wind thru the Keyhole?
BritOverseas69

Post by BritOverseas69 »

Hi

No, I don't have the Little Sisters, I have the Wind through the Keyhole Special Edition and yes for all of the others..

All Fine/Fine

I would have loved to have completed the set, but the cheapest I can find a 'Gunslinger' signed is the price of a small car!!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Got it, so.....

DT-2 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT-3 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT4 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT5 - 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
DT6- 1st trade edition Flatsigned by King
DT-7 1st trade edition flatsigned by King
WTTKH - Limited Edition

So in terms of selling them all or braking them up....I'd say at the very least the Limited edition should likely be sold separate. Folks looking for a limited edition won't necessarily be looking for signed trade editions and vice versa. Pricing wise for this book, there's a copy on ABE that I just mentioned in the newsletter at $2,750 which, considering the rapid rise in prices right now seems like an OK price for a book that doesn't have many copies available ever and hasn't had an eBay copy up for quite some time.

But it hasn't sold, so clearly folks are looking for better pricing. Betts sold a copy as part of a larger sale a few months ago for $1,200 but that sold literally in minutes as part of a larger collection, telling me the price was too low. I'll stick with the range I have on the info page of the site, $1,700 - $2,500.

Now the rest of the books, being all trade editions and it sounds like with verifiable signatures could go as a set. I'm not as up on the value of specific flat signed copies, so checking against recently sold eBay listings would likely give the best indicator of value...but in general with most books, a King signature adds $200-$300 to the value of any given book. So we're in the range of $1,200 - $1,800 for the rest as a set. There are other collectors here with a better pulse on signed trade editions. Feel free to chime in guys :)
BritOverseas69

Post by BritOverseas69 »

Hi

Thanks for the answer, all info is great but I have looked on Abe and even the cheapest #7 is $500 (not F/F), #6 $650- (not F/F, $875 F/F), #5 $390-490, #4 (there isn't one), #3 $825 but signed artist and King, #2 $2000-2500..

Maybe my understanding of which edition is incorrect, mine are First Edition - First Printings? There are very few available in any case that are F Ed F Print, F/F Signed..

I was just wondering if these are realistic prices on ABE?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Good question...So just because a book is listed on ABE doesn't mean it will sell at that price - in fact it hasn't sold which is why you see it there. Often those listings are up for months at those prices. Not always though.
The other thing is that unless you're a bookseller you don't have access to selling on ABE. So checking the completed eBay listings is going to be a more realistic price gauge for most individual sales as that's where you're most likely to be selling.

But as I mentioned I haven't looked at flatsigned 1st edition DT books. My pricing on those was just generally on what a King signature adds to most trade editions. Again checking eBay's completed listings will be your best bet....of course as I type this out I'm not seeing many examples at the moment. Here's a copy of DT-7 that got a best offer accepted so i know it was under the $515 asking price, likely in the mid to high 400's.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-T ... Swu0Fetz9T

Here's a signed copy of DT 3 for $800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-D ... Sw7axgML4X

I'm a little surprised to see these copies going for as much a S/L copies, usually signed copies go for less than their S/L counterparts....but perhaps the ABE prices aren't too far off what you can expect.
BritOverseas69

Post by BritOverseas69 »

Again

Thanks for the answer, I think I will put them up individually with a 'Best Offer' possibility, that way I have the best chance..
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

BritOverseas69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 pm Again

Thanks for the answer, I think I will put them up individually with a 'Best Offer' possibility, that way I have the best chance..
Sounds like a plan. Feel free to post links to your listings in the buy/sell section!
Namelessnpoor

Post by Namelessnpoor »

BritOverseas69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 pm Again

Sent you a message....I am interested in all of them or whatever is left.
Email me at rrdunaway@outlook.com