How to organize SK books

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
evanaltman36

How to organize SK books

Post by evanaltman36 »

I've really gotten back into collecting King books lately, mainly through eBay and combing through local Half Price Books locations, and now I'm getting to the point that I want to organize them a little more formally. The most obvious methods would be either alphabetical or chronological, but I think I prefer the latter with a twist. So my thought is chrono, but with series and story collections grouped together. For instance, The Dark Tower books and the Bill Hodges trilogy would remain together at the end of the line, then the short story collections would follow in their own chrno order.

I know it's mainly personal preference, but I was wondering whether there is sort of an accepted model for how they should best be organized. Also, I have multiple copies of some titles and I'm trying to decide whether to keep them all together or put the duplicates at the end of the line. Thoughts or advice?
mulleins

Re: How to organize SK books

Post by mulleins »

I keep my collection in a cloud Google sheet, this way I can access it when I'm on the road. My preference is alphabetical. But, since it's a spreadsheet, at any given time it can be sorted.

I have columns for what I paid, today's value (have to keep up with it), author first name, author last name, etc.

This really helps with insurance as well. Once a year I give a copy to my insurance rep for file.

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
evanaltman36

Post by evanaltman36 »

Thanks, I should probably upgrade my digital tracking. But how about actually displaying? I don't necessarily collect for value and I haven't tracked most of the purchase prices, so I'm just looking to have them on my bookshelves.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Mine are in order of publication with the exception of the Dark Tower series. Those are all displayed together on one shelf.

In regards to multiples I try to keep them together but it all depends on space. I've ran out on my nicest shelving unit.

I suppose other folks also display 1st 1st, Signed, Lettered, Numbered, AE, GE, Etc., all a little differently as well.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Mine are displayed by size. OCD only allows straight lines, and we ALL have OCD. My OCD has now gotten worse. It has alphabetisized to CDO.

😃
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

To a certain extent mine are also sorted by size - with the tallest on the left going to the shortest on the right. Also I try to keep different sections/series together.
evanaltman36

Post by evanaltman36 »

Ben Staad wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:49 pm Mine are in order of publication with the exception of the Dark Tower series. Those are all displayed together on one shelf.

In regards to multiples I try to keep them together but it all depends on space. I've ran out on my nicest shelving unit.

I suppose other folks also display 1st 1st, Signed, Lettered, Numbered, AE, GE, Etc., all a little differently as well.
I like where you're at on this, guess it depends on how much room I have.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

I know this thread is old by know, just catching up on this forum.

For me, my 1st/1sts are all together and are in strict chronological order (even the revised gunslinger is displayed based on date). I can see the appeal in doing it the way you are. What do you do for Shining/Dr. Sleep, Talisman/Dark House? What about Bachman books? That would throw in debate, does regulators go with Desperation or Bachman?

Regarding duplicates, they are in a whole other book case, and generally in chronological order, but since it is a mix of paperbacks and HC, I first segregate based on that.

For Limited editions they are on different book shelves, but I haven't found a convenient organization. Size variations makes it difficult, plus it comes to the question is it based on order of publication of the trade or the limited? So I have done a hybrid of doing by size and publisher (since often publisher use same or similar sizes). Of course various sizes make this impossible, so I just try my best to maximize shelf usage.