Dolores Claiborne 1st / 1st question

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
doronik

Dolores Claiborne 1st / 1st question

Post by doronik »

Hey folks,

Quick question, for a 1st/1st of Dolores Claiborne is the inside of the book yellow or white? I have two books, both with the expected CP information and number line. The only real difference is the inside of the book.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Greg
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Dolores Claiborne 1st / 1st question

Post by TheCollector »

Do you mean the boards or the paper?
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

I would say the endpapers are more orange the yellow.
LeifOnMars

Post by LeifOnMars »

The true first edition of DOLORES CLAIBORNE was published by the British book club. It was on sale in its retail outlet of Oxford Street in London' West End weeks before ANY other British or American edition saw the light of day.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Almost correct. It is by BCA (Book Club Associates). They only sell by mail. There is not a shop in Oxford Street.
LeifOnMars

Post by LeifOnMars »

21st century man is still restricted to a linear experience of time. The BCA may only sell by mail now, but when DOLORES CAIBORNE and GERALD'S GAME (both true BCA firsts) were published, they had retail premises in a street OFF Oxford Street (whose name escapes me), not IN Oxford Street, but parallel to Berners Street, where I worked at the time. It is not unknown for shops to move or, as is probably the case in this instance, to close down. Even historical monuments aren't eternal.
I recall that, in one of his catalogues, the late Californian bookseller, Barry Levin, featured a piece about the true world first edition pedigree of Asimov's FORWARD THE FOUNDATION (1993) making reference to the London BCA store and providing the publication dates of the American Doubleday edition (05 March 1993), The British Bantam-Doubleday export edition (24 March, 1993), the British domestic edition (22 April, 1993) and the British BC edition (15 February, 1993).
I know, because I acquired copies of the Asimov and King books for Barry at the BCA shop, OFF Oxford Street, and provided him with all relevant documentation, which included a BCA shop receipt dated 15 Feb 1993.
LeifOnMars

Post by LeifOnMars »

P.S. If Tomas can tell me HOW, I am happy upload a digital photograph of the Levin piece to this august forum.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

LeifOnMars wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 am P.S. If Tomas can tell me HOW, I am happy upload a digital photograph of the Levin piece to this august forum.
The easiest way is to link to the image already hosted somewhere, or if you want to uplaod directly to use the attachments tab below this form as you're typing (screenshot below, uploaded using the attachments tab)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeifOnMars

Post by LeifOnMars »

[media][/media]
Thank you, Tomas.
I regret that I do not know how to upload the digital pictures I took
(and which are now stored in Windows 10) via the red/white links
above.
If you have the time, can you guide me through the easiest uploading
routine step by step?
In due curse I would also like to upload pictures of some King material.
LeifOnMars

Post by LeifOnMars »

correction......
for
"In due curse"
read
"In due course"

As for uploading problems, I did not find the "ATTACHMENTS" portal you showed in your message.