Grant DT edition differences?

Any questions related to limited editions
JGeis

Grant DT edition differences?

Post by JGeis »

Hello,

Would one of you knowledgeable folks please enlighten me as to the physical book quality differences between the Limited, Artist, and trade editions of the Dark Tower books from Grant? Are the more expensive editions any significant upgrade in the physical quality of the books themselves?

Thank you for your time and attention!
PL_Drafter

Re: Grant DT edition differences?

Post by PL_Drafter »

JGeis wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 pm Hello,

Would one of you knowledgeable folks please enlighten me as to the physical book quality differences between the Limited, Artist, and trade editions of the Dark Tower books from Grant? Are the more expensive editions any significant upgrade in the physical quality of the books themselves?

Thank you for your time and attention!
All DT Limited editions have white cover boards, come with their own slip case and some have two volumes with different dust jackets. The Artist editions, of the last four books, have different dust jackets except for LSOE. It and the LE have the same dust jacket. You can click above on the right under US Limiteds and 1st Editions to get more information.

Hope this helps!
JGeis

Post by JGeis »

Hello and thank you for the reply. I don’t think I explained myself all that well. What I’m really looking to know more about are the quality of materials used for each edition. For example: are the boards and binding stronger and finer on the artist editions than on the trades? What about the quality of the pages used or the printing itself? Are the limited editions yet another increase in physical quality? I’m trying to determine if the different versions of the books have any differences in their physicality rather than just the included pictures, signatures, limitation numbers, etc. The beauty of a fine book as a physical object is of some importance to me.

Thank you again to anyone able to provide insight.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

For DT 5 and above the paper and the binding of the artist editions is are of a higher quality than the trade edition. For DT 1-4 the trade editions were made by Grant and it was the only edition, there was no separate artist edition.

For example the binding on many of these editions is Smythe sewn binding, you can read a little bit about it below.
https://www.lovenotebooks.com/blog/what ... ythe-sewn/

When you talk about artist vs limited (again this would apply to volumes 5,6,7, LOSE and WTTKH only) you also get a step up in materials. DMG wasn't quite as forthcoming with info about all the upgrades between editions as publishing houses are today. So I can't be as specific about it as with other books. I usually put materials listed in the info page, when/if the publisher releases them. Take a look at the Misery info page for example, Paul over at Suntup does a great job walking collectors thru all the materials.
https://www.stephenkingcollector.com/li ... isery.html

Rest assured though, as you go up in price you almost always go up in quality of materials. Except for Scribner, those guys are cheap bastards when it comes to SK Limiteds. Yeah I'm looking at you Under the Dome!
JGeis

Post by JGeis »

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

As a follow up question: Are there any moderately priced limited editions Of King’s work that are universally recognized as the finest physical book quality?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Quality goes with expensive. The answer to your question is, there are no moderately priced books with the finest physical book quality.

Come to think of it, nothing of quality is moderately priced.
JGeis

Post by JGeis »

Hmm. Maybe I should be more specific in detailed what I consider moderately priced. For example: I think the Folio Society edition of The Shining is a nicely made book at a very moderate price point. I was very pleased with the quality of the edition of Revival by Letterpress Publications. I am quite happy with the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties from Cemetery Dance. All of these are easily sourced below $200 which I feel is a very moderate price point for collectible books.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

JGeis wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 am Hmm. Maybe I should be more specific in detailed what I consider moderately priced. For example: I think the Folio Society edition of The Shining is a nicely made book at a very moderate price point. I was very pleased with the quality of the edition of Revival by Letterpress Publications. I am quite happy with the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties from Cemetery Dance. All of these are easily sourced below $200 which I feel is a very moderate price point for collectible books.
I think that in general the gift editions will give you the highest quality of materials for the lowest price. Because the book isn't signed by SK and the print run is higher than the S/L editions these usually sell for a fraction of the limited edition, despite sharing a lot of similar features. If I can use a non book analogy you can think of a trade edition as a Toyota Prius, a gift edition as a base Tesla Model 3, and the S/L edition as a Tesla Model 3 performance w/ all the options checked.

You are going to be hard pressed to find "moderately priced limited editions Of King’s work that are universally recognized as the finest physical book quality" because there are usually limited and lettered editions released along side. There are a couple of titles that have no corresponding limited/lettered editions, mainly from book club type places. The titles that come to mind are:

(unsigned) Folio edition of The Shining
Easton Press edition of Dead Zone
Book Club edition of Lisey's Story
UK Limited Delores Claiborne
UK Limited Just after Sunset

These all fall in your price range and those specific editions do not have a higher priced varient that uses higher quality materials. Thus they are moderatly priced and the highest physical quality of that particular edition. I hope that answers your question.

Your example of the LetterPress edition of Revival is typical of a high quality gift edition in your price range, but is not "the finest Physical Book Quality" for this edition, as there is a more expensive lettered edition of this book that is of higher physical quality.
JGeis

Post by JGeis »

Again, thank you for the information!