Coronavirus- how you guys holding up?

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Coronavirus- how you guys holding up?

Post by TheCollector »

Seems like every day brings another round of more, intense, news. How are you guys holding up?

I'm in Seattle, and Washington State has the highest concentration of cases right now, also arguably we're at the front of the line for seeing the effects in the US. My family is fine, I'm fine. The government has shut down most public places over 50 people (bars, restaurants, health clubs, etc, etc). The kids are out of school for the next 6 weeks. My wife and I are fortunate to be able to work from home remotely pretty much full time so I feel we're in a pretty good place.

It is unnerving seeing the shelves empty of various items, the rationing of others, and overall I'm nervous about the economic fallout long term.

I wanted to put a spot up where we, in the community could check in and let each other know how you're doing. How thing are in your community. Are things relatively normal where you are? Feeling healthy? Can you find toilet paper :)
Noxus35

Re: Coronavirus- how you guys holding up?

Post by Noxus35 »

Yeah, we've been in this mess for about 3 weeks or so now. 🤔
I live in Noord-Brabant which is a province in the Netherlands, the dutch government over here has dubbed our province the "corona capital of the Netherlands".

Most of the cases known to doctors started popping up after our annual celebration of carnaval, which is very popular in noord-brabant.
After two/three weeks we have about 6400 (known) infections and with that sadly came the death of elderly people.
I work in some nursing homes as a housing worker and, luckily, we reacted pretty quick to this new virus and took some drastic but inevitable decisions to protect the inhabitants of our "homes".
Most loved ones accepted these decisions but we've also had some death threats from people.

I have to say that the Netherlands is doing well even though other nations called us insane due to not locking down our country but of course we have our restricitions now; people who are able to work from home are deemed to do so, schools have shut down, only go outside to take a walk or do the groceries and this is limited to one person per household. Other measures taken are closing down the stores, public parks and beaches.
Some people were taking everything for granted and thought that this did not apply to them, especially the teenagers (dumb asses ).
Overcrowding everything and now an extra restriction was needed; any group (bigger than 3 persons and not keeping enough distance between each person) can be warned or fined and these fines start at 400 euro's and could even reach up to 4000 euro's or spending time in jail.

The government decided that people in vital jobs are needed outside to keep everything going and are getting daycare free of charge ( when the parents go to work).
Other (non)vital workers need to stay at home and work from there with the children around them.
Some of these parents said "i'm not paying for the daycare then" but that doesn't work that way over here given that we have an allowance system set up by the government which basicly provides 3/4 of the funds needed to pay for that.
So these parents are still billed for that and if they don't pay this the contract for the daycare will be suspended, a debt collector will be send after them and our government will want their funding back.
Eventually these day cares will refund these parents their own contribution (except for the gov's allowance of course) but this way the employees will get their salary.
Us vital workers get to keep the full amount in this time of crisis.

Vital jobs include army, police, all health workers, janitors, cleaners, garbage disposal workers and a lot of others.

At this time we apparently succeeded in keeping deaths and new infections to a minimum and thus stable.
We're a long way from home though so people will have to bite the bullet for a while and will have to abide to these "rules".
But hey, for a country that's not on a lockdown, i say we're not doing bad at all.

I just hope this will be over soon...

Ps: people started hoarding over here when the first 500 cases were confirmed, hoarding a lot of strange stuff like toilet paper.
People were also fighting over it.
Our (prime)minister responded to that by saying "there's more than enough toilet paper ... for all of us, we can poop for ten years in a row"

Gotta love it when somebody in charge makes that statement. 😂🤣

Also, i believe that i already had corona. About 3 and a half weeks ago i was having a runny nose, sneezing and coughing for about a week, throat felt sore and i was feeling pain and weakness in my legs.
Just overall feeling tired but keep in mind that this happened before covid-19 was confirmed in our country and at that time i believed it to be the flu.
Sadly enough i will not know for sure as there are no testing methods available for people.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Just a little update from me. Everyone is still healthy at my house. The social distancing policy implemented in Washington State seems to be working. I haven't seen hand sanitizer for the last week, no matter how early I hit up the store. But my wife scored a 4 pack of TP the other day :)

Interestingly there's been a shift in behavior when I go out for a walk or jog around my neighborhood. People will see you coming and actively cross the street so they don't pass by you for even that brief moment where you share sidewalk space. Last week they just kind of walked on the grass to give more distance. Moving to the opposite side of the street is new. Makes me appreciate those folks that throw you a friendly waive or hello more than usual. I try to be one of them even though fewer people seem to be returning the gesture.
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

All good on my end, i'm also noticing "corona" paranoia setting in with people over here.
Our neighbour recently ignored our gesture of greeting her like we usually do.
Under normal circumstances she would've liked to stay around and chat for a bit but even at a safe distance she just went her way.

Our local beer brewers picked up supplies from local restaurants & bars and processed this in their brewingfactories and created sanitizing hand gel for hospitals and all others that work in healthcare.
So that's a really great move on their end as there's a shortage in those supplies. Other local companies are busy making ventilators, mask, gloves and such.

My first niece was born on april 1st, just got a first glimpse of her via a video call.
Strange situation though because my 2nd daughter was just a couple of weeks old when the outbreak came.
A lot of family & friends still need to visit her.

Other than that we're (thankfully) still healthy & safe. 😉
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Things here seem to be sketchy at best. Income has dipped a lot, but we are all still working, and resources are much more limited than normal.

Plus we are really getting on each others nerves.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

I can officially say we are still getting on each others nerves.

Have found it nice to visit my father in laws 16 acres about an hour away though. It's a heavily wooded tract with some vehicle trails he has put in plus a cabin/shed, picnic table, and fire pit area. Dog loves to run around and it's fun to start a fire and cook something out there.

How about everyone else?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I live out in the sticks so I never meet anyone normally. My food and drink are still delivered as they always were. My wife is working from home so she does not have to commute.

Basically nothing has changed for me.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Glad to hear you are doing well, Mr. RT.
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm I live out in the sticks so I never meet anyone normally. My food and drink are still delivered as they always were. My wife is working from home so she does not have to commute.

Basically nothing has changed for me.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Ben Staad wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 pm I can officially say we are still getting on each others nerves.

Have found it nice to visit my father in laws 16 acres about an hour away though. It's a heavily wooded tract with some vehicle trails he has put in plus a cabin/shed, picnic table, and fire pit area. Dog loves to run around and it's fun to start a fire and cook something out there.

How about everyone else?
Sounds nice and secluded Ben. I live in the city (not downtown). It's very walkable and there are a number of large parks and green spaces but I always see other folks. Fortunately the house is big enough everyone has their own separate areas to retreat to as needed so we're not yelling at each other any more than normal :)
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

So, even though we haven't been in a full lockdown, the government announced that they are setting a path to loosen the restrictions on their way to (as they call it) the "new normal".
This is their effort trying to build "herd immunity", which was the plan from day one, and to prevent an economic collapse.

All smaller business owners applaud this move off course, some are calling it a radical but necessary one. Others say it's too early to even think this could work but hey, it's working in other european countries .... So why, wouldn't it here?

I have to admit i find it strange going to work every morning and counting only ten or twelve other cars on the road.
The government said that people who can work from home should do so accordingly, children should go to school and people who are showing symptoms are required to stay at home with all other family members. No exceptions, they said.
Which is kind of odd to me because i work in a vital job and we are required to work, even if we're coughing or sneezing.
Not that i don't want to go to work or anything but i still think i already was infected with covid-19 in the beginning of this situation.

Whatever the case i'm glad and very curious to see how this new plan works out over here, if you want to read about "our plan" then you can do so at this link:

https://nltimes.nl/2020/05/06/coronavir ... pen-summer

Stay healthy and safe over there!