The Dark Tower----movie

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
Teddy

The Dark Tower----movie

Post by Teddy »

Hello all.
Just the other day I finally watched the movie The Dark Tower on Netflix. Now I understand that I may ruffle a few feathers on some of you for saying this but I need to get this off my chest.
The Gunslinger is one of my top favs by SK and although the movie was overall generally entertaining, I felt it just didn't do the book justice. The acting by Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey were very well done and probably what I found to be the entertaining parts.
That being said, as a result of watching the movie, I have been inspired to re-read the series! I really enjoyed the novels 10 fold over the movie! Maybe my imagination is more profound or what have you, but this is just another example of book better than movie.
If anyone has anything to say or add, I welcome all opinions one way or another and maybe this comment will spark some engaging conversation!
Keep up the good read!!!

Teddy
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Tower----movie

Post by TheCollector »

I know what you mean, SK movies can be hit or miss and that was was a definite miss. With the exception of Matthew McConaughey, that guy played the man in black amazingly well.
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I totally agree with you regarding Matt McConaughey's portrayal of The Man In Black. I also have to give kudos to Idris Elba as well.
Too bad that this movie failed to give the book its due.
In my opinion, the big screen adaptations of Firestarter, Needful Things, Pet Cemetery and Christine, by far did more justice to the books.
With that said, the movie, Sometimes They Come Back, which is an all time favourite of mine, was a screenplay written by SK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was only a screenplay and never a book. If I'm wrong please let me know because I will have to acquire it.

p.s. thanks for responding Collector.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Correction coming....

“Sometimes They Come Back” was originally called “And Sometimes They Come Back.”
The story first appeared in the March 1974 edition of Cavalier and secondly in Night Shift.

CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

The SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK Teleplay was written by Lawrence Konner & Mark Rosenthal Only based on the short story by Stephen King of the same name. (Not AND SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK.)
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

I believe you will find that King's SLEEPWALKERS is the 1st original screenplay that was not based on a previously published work.
ImageImage
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

I watched it once in the theater and didn't care for it. I'm not sure why they went with an alternate story but this thing was a stinker. To be fair, if it is on Netflix, I may try and re-watch it to see if I have any different take on it.

The movie screamed "Fan Fiction" to me from start to finish. Just my two cents.