Ideas for the site

Tell me what you would like to see on the forums!
eleviva

Re: Ideas for the site

Post by eleviva »

Hi there! Leandro here, I'm from Argentina and though I recently joined this forum, I had always used this site to check some data and news about the King.
There's also a wide variety of members of this sort of "Constant Readers community" out there in Instagram (perhaps I should say Bookstagram) that can be easily noticed through hashtags like #constantreader and #stephenkingcollector to list a few; and some of them are always creating interesting posts with discussions, opinions and -why not- artistic points of view in their pictures.
An example of this is http://instagram.com/jobis89 but for sure you'll find more users that are passionate about Stephen King. That's why I reckon that an idea could be adding to the board a thread in which we can highlight or recommend, Instagram accounts or whatever kind of media that comes from SK-related fans.
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

Is there something you can do about a little problem with uploading pictures ?

At first i thought it was just me but someone else experienced the same problem.
It seems that pictures with a bigger (picture)size than 260 or 270 kb's won't upload on this forum. 🤔

As for the estimated values on books:

You could do it like so:

MINT CONDITION:
VERY GOOD CONDITION:
GOOD CONDITION:
USED CONDITION:
POOR CONDITION:
VERY POOR CONDITION:

Add the value(s) after " : "
Maybe also add a different value(s) when signed by the author. (Example: $30 / $170*.)
The price with * indicates the value of the signed book.
(either above or below the values) these values were last updated on *insert date here* .
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I think it would be cool to have a live chat forum.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks for all the feedback guys,

I see there are a number of comments on pricing/dates, and it's certainly easy enough to put a price reviewed date on the pages. I will say the Limited pages have prices updated more often than the 1st edition pages as I find the limiteds fluctuate more.

For example, a 1st edition copy of "From a Buick 8" hasn't changed in any meaningful way in years. But I see where it would be nice to know I looked at it a few months ago to make sure.

The other multiple things around limited edition pricing are as follows:

1) Prices can vary wildly between sellers. In general, prices are looked at from a combination of 4 sources: ABE Sellers, eBay, Betts Books, and Verfyinebooks. (I may look to add a 5th here in 2020). These can vary by hundreds of dollars per title, and I can say with some certainty that it's not just the cheapest items that get scooped up, many collectors pay higher prices for nicer copies, or from sellers they're comfortable with vs just shopping on price. This is why I offer a price range vs just a single price.

2) Prices can vary quite a bit from month-to-month. While this is especially true with new releases you can sometimes see spikes in certain months with established titles. I like to see at least 3-6 months of sustained changes before I modify a price range

3) Some editions/books show up so rarely that there may only be 1-4 listings per year, and out of those not all actually sell at a given price. This gives less weight to a date looked at, as the last looked at data point could be a year ago, but that's the last known available copy....this is slightly different from the "Street Price/est" listings that only show up once every few years (Think a lettered Firestarter, or other rare lettered editions)

So where am I going with this? Well, I agree that putting a date on pricing data would be beneficial however pricing estimates are a bit of a mix of art and science in my opinion and a last looked at date doesn't tell the whole tale. Also, to be honest I can't scan all 150-200 titles and editions daily across sites for data points. The self reported "what I bought and where I bought it" idea has some merit here as long as people don't just post their best deals. I'm open to any offers of ways to help dial in that data.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

For info: The last 4 S/L copies of From a Buick 8 each went for $450 at Betts Bookstore.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

dnemec wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:53 pm And one more thing - your slipcases are so nice and well made. Any chance at getting more options on those?
I would really, really, really, really (1,2,3,4, ok two more reallys), really, really like it if you made more of the Stand traycases that are shown on the sites homepage.
kardiackids

Post by kardiackids »

Hi,
Love the site and use it all the time for reference. Wondering if you've thought of adding a section for Joe Hill books, especially the limited ones? He's starting to get very prolific with a large number of s/l editions. Would think that a lot of people that collect the King would also be collecting his son and would value a trusted resource like your's to help keep up with valuations.
And now we are at the point with the lettered edition of Full Throttle that he and his dad have signed one together.
thanks!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Please don't Thomas.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:27 am Please don't Thomas.
Which request are you not wanting?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

It is a Stephen King site. Anyone who wants other authors can visit their sites.