Carrie UK First Edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Dude

Carrie UK First Edition

Post by Dude »

Hi. I have what seems to be a first UK edition of Carrie in hardcover with the dust jacket. The £2.50 price is on the inside flap and "First NEL Hardcover edition 1974" is written on the copyright page. It's in good condition. I found it in a second hand book shop and it was pretty cheap. It's got the same SBN number as a very expensive copy on abebooks. Is there anything else to look for to identify it as a legitimate/collectable edition? Either it was my lucky day or I'm overlooking something. Thanks.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Carrie UK First Edition

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Does it have any "library marks" or stamps? Many of these were library books and have marks where the tickets were. Some have the library name stamped n it.

If it does not have any library marks then you have a good one. The dustjacket is 90% of the value, so it needs to be in good condition. Every tear and mark and blemish devalues it.

I have owned several over the years and paid between £250 - £2000 for my copies. Nobody has a Fine copy as the paper they used turns brown after several years.

Congratulations on your find.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Thanks Mr. Rabbit Trick. No library stamps, and the dust jacket is in great shape except for a bit of colour fading on the spine. Thanks so much for the info.
Namelessnpoor

Post by Namelessnpoor »

Dude wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 am Hi. I have what seems to be a first UK edition of Carrie in hardcover with the dust jacket. The £2.50 price is on the inside flap and "First NEL Hardcover edition 1974" is written on the copyright page. It's in good condition. I found it in a second hand book shop and it was pretty cheap. It's got the same SBN number as a very expensive copy on abebooks. Is there anything else to look for to identify it as a legitimate/collectable edition? Either it was my lucky day or I'm overlooking something. Thanks.
If you are interested in selling it, provided it is a true UK first, I would be very interested.
Been looking for one for awhile.
Thanks
Dude

Post by Dude »

Hi Namelessnpoor. Happy to send you some pics and we can discuss. Thanks.
Namelessnpoor

Post by Namelessnpoor »

Dude..sent you a PM with my email.
Send me some pics and and hopefully we can work something out.
Thanks
Namelessnpoor

Post by Namelessnpoor »

Dude wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 am Hi Namelessnpoor. Happy to send you some pics and we can discuss. Thanks.
Dude..sent you a PM with my email.
Send me some pics and and hopefully we can work something out.
Thanks