Carrie 10th printing, trade or book club?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
mimart

Carrie 10th printing, trade or book club?

Post by mimart »

Hello,

I recently purchased a copy of Carrie, Doubleday, 10th printing (number line). The covers are red cloth spine, black paper board. There is no gutter code. Dust jacket price "$16.95". Can someone please tell me if this is a book club or trade edition? Thanks.

Mimart
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Carrie 10th printing, trade or book club?

Post by TheCollector »

Hi Mimart.

If you have a price on the DJ and a number line then it's a trade edition.

Based on the price I'd guess a mid 1980's copy but can't be much more specific than that.
mimart

Post by mimart »

Thanks for your reply. The different cover, and no gutter code, gave me doubts about it being a trade edition. Why would there be no gutter code? Was there a printing date where Doubleday stopped the gutter code and started identification with a number line? Thanks.

Mimart
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'm not sure, by the mid 80's (when I think your book was published) King had switched publishers to Viking so I haven't attempted to follow what Doubleday was doing at that time. While It's possible someone took a dustjacket from a trade edition and put it on a book club block - it usually is the other way around (people putting book club DJ on trade edition blocks). Also I'm not aware of book club editions having numberlines on the copyright page.

I'm sure someone will step in to correct me if I'm wrong :)
mimart

Post by mimart »

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping the dust jacket and the book just belong together ;)