Showcase your non-SK collectibles!

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: Showcase your non-SK collectibles!

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I know what you mean about just couldn't get into a certain author. That C. J. Cherryh book you have reminds me of Downbelow Station, which won the Hugo for best novel in 1982. I bought the book, actually met her and had it autographed to me, then found it impossible to read beyond the first page.

I never could get interested in Poppy Z. Bright's stuff either.

I do really enjoy Nancy A. Collins's work and Kathryn Ptacek (who sadly seems to have stopped writing) and Phyllis Eisenstein (who I also met!).
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Hadn't heard of Eisenstein, but looked up her bio. Sounds interesting.

Went on vacation and all I got was a strange Potter cover. My nephew worked at B&N and found this unboxing the book when it came out. Doubt it's valuable, but don't know how may have missed the purple run at the presses.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

That one's interesting as an oddity, but I don't know of any sites in which you could get a fair market price quote. I collect (a little bit) the Harry Potter books, but I don't have any real interest in something like that.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Looks like they missed the black too (author at the bottom front).

Seems like they were switching die colors or something and it just zipped thru. Pretty neat actually. You could always try to ebay it with a reserve and see what happens!
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Thanks - didn't notice there was a black as well as purple. I will hang on to it - actually I've never sold any books.
Right now I'm trying to go thro the too many books in the house and cull out the I'll never read agains to give to the library and making a list of the valuable ones so the future heirs won't end up donating them to the library; they can worry about selling them.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Ran across my old "textbooks" from an English class I took:
The Dolphin paperbacks.

and decided to post some of my Tolkiens.
The Revised Edition. Probably got them at same time - early/mid 70's.

Maps still in great shape.

Stan Lee Edition

History of Middle Earth US 1sts

Can't find my Hobbit - gotta be around here somewhere.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Nice Tolkien collection! I just re-read The Hobbit and the trilogy, from the same editions as your first picture! Sad to say, forty years after reading it for the first time, I couldn't get into the books like I did when I was younger. I found the language too flowery and the heroics just bored me. I was dissapointed more in my own reaction then in the books themselves. I think I've become jaded, sad to say. But of the four books, I liked THE HOBBIT the best.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

At the risk of opening myself up for some hassel, I have yet to read any of the LOTR books, and so I'm hoping that I can go in with an open mind as to expectations and enjoy thm when I get around to it....

These books here are making me want to pick up some nice collectable editions!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

jimimck wrote:At the risk of opening myself up for some hassel, I have yet to read any of the LOTR books, and so I'm hoping that I can go in with an open mind as to expectations and enjoy thm when I get around to it....

These books here are making me want to pick up some nice collectable editions!
Read them first. If you don't like them (and there are some people who don't!) why collect them?

John
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

It's been a while since I read them - I was going to before the movies but never did. I will reread the Hobbit before the movie - it is a much different tone then LOTR. I have tons of Tolkien stuff I collected back from the 70's on - if I finish redoing a room for King and other collectable I'll post pics. That's my New Year's resolution: get organized!

And a book that will go in there:

Need to finish reading it. Nice to get a great S/L at a reasonable price. Hope they keep it that way for 2 and 3.