Questionable signature

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Questionable signature

Post by TheCollector »

Yeah if you don't have any provenance then you can only compare next to known good signatures. I'm no expert at this (I stick to limited editions) but many of these are pretty easy to spot once you know what to look for.
CamFella

Post by CamFella »

How is this for a questionable signature with a COA - Gosh, it is terrible, yet multiple people have bid on it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

It is very sad that people won't take the time to educate themselves. COA stickers and papers aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

"When in doubt, don't pull the wallet out"

That's what makes community's like these boards so nice. Many collectors to discuss books, signature, and ask for help.

Mulleins
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

Personally, I would be torn on missing out on a signed King book and taking the time to somehow "verify the verification". If the book is in an actual bookstore, it could very well be sold minutes after you walk out and wait for an answer.

I looked into the Autograph Expert Union company that "authenticated" the books that started this post. Their site leaves much to be desired and they even admit to basically being a bunch of guys who have gotten signatures from athletes and the such. Because they didn't like paying for authentication, they decided to "form [their] own authentication service".

Can't really tell who authenticated the "Hearts in Atlantis" book ... EDIT: Looked up eBay listing and it's "authenticated" by Red Carpet Authentics. Their website is only slightly better than the other one; two guys authenticating signatures.

I also saw some other posts here in the forum where people suggested that signatures with inscriptions are more likely to be real because forgers don't want to waste time forging the inscription; on the other hand, some people only want flat-signed copies.
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

Never mind what I said about inscriptions adding authenticity ... selling for $800 on eBay.

Now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of forged King signatures ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Sherlock Joe's wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:59 pm Never mind what I said about inscriptions adding authenticity ... selling for $800 on eBay.

Now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of forged King signatures ...
Well if you read the inscription I suppose maybe some other guy named Stephen K wrote it out to Stephen King - that's about the only way this signature makes sense lol.
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

Yay or nay?

Most similar I could find on https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sh ... 80-Present was something from 2008 Carrie (3 Kings Event)
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Nay X 10
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

I agree with RT, forged.

Mulleins
JackyBoy

Post by JackyBoy »

And then there’s this. CD Dark Man traycased signed/limited. Seeing that signature anywhere else and I would’ve never guessed it was legit…