Simon & Schuster Fairy Tale Special Edition

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
jwilkinson404

Re: Simon & Schuster Fairy Tale Special Edition

Post by jwilkinson404 »

Definitely. Just pre-ordered mine.
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:38 pm Going by the posts on here, the slipcase is better than the book! Thanks Brian.
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:24 am Should have kept saving up for The Cycle of the Werewolf! ;)
Saw hardcover of Cycle going for $650 recently.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

Best of luck with your continued journey on 1st states. My personal journey veered off course many years ago when I realized that much of the DD stuff was beyond my means unless I wanted to only purchase one book a year or so.
sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:24 am
Ben Staad wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:34 pm Just received my copy of the book.

In my opinion it's junk. Lightweight and underwhelming. The end-papers are nice.
Agreed. Really enjoy the art inside, and I like the feeling of the cover, but yeah, I'm more excited for the slipcase more than anything. Never really did the SE King stuff (All I've got is vol. one of The Secretary of Dreams #) but my buddy has tons of S/L, super-cool SE from the different publishers, and since I've nearing the end of collecting my 1st states, I decided to take a chance. Should have kept saving up for The Cycle of the Werewolf! ;)
sunflowersociety

Post by sunflowersociety »

Ben Staad wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:12 am Best of luck with your continued journey on 1st states. My personal journey veered off course many years ago when I realized that much of the DD stuff was beyond my means unless I wanted to only purchase one book a year or so.
sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:24 am
Ben Staad wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:34 pm Just received my copy of the book.

In my opinion it's junk. Lightweight and underwhelming. The end-papers are nice.
Agreed. Really enjoy the art inside, and I like the feeling of the cover, but yeah, I'm more excited for the slipcase more than anything. Never really did the SE King stuff (All I've got is vol. one of The Secretary of Dreams #) but my buddy has tons of S/L, super-cool SE from the different publishers, and since I've nearing the end of collecting my 1st states, I decided to take a chance. Should have kept saving up for The Cycle of the Werewolf! ;)
If I'm lucky (and not too picky) I hope to finish sooner than later. Some things, though, you just can't get (eg- 1st ed gunslinger). Perfectly happy with 3rd ed+ of books like that. Heck, personally, I like how the 2nd ed of DoT looks compared to the 1st. I've never been that guy who would not get something just because it's not the correct way. If it makes me smile, I'm all over it.
sunflowersociety

Sherlock Joe's wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:03 am
sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:24 am Should have kept saving up for The Cycle of the Werewolf! ;)
Saw hardcover of Cycle going for $650 recently.
I've gotten a few books from Abebooks (most I've just been lucky enough to pick up when they first came out) and I see one on there for $625, but the seller only has 4 stars. I've only had one problem with 5-star sellers there, but I've never wanted to chance it with a big-ticket book with someone who isn't rated perfectly. Ebay scares the junk out of me, so I stay away from anything over $100. I've gotten beautiful books for dirt cheap and expensive-ish books that were trashed there. As my buddy said, we're going to do a summer road trip and try to find as many Po-dunk towns that still have book stores and luck into a Father Cody Salem's Lot! :lol:
jwilkinson404

Post by jwilkinson404 »

I am in the same boat, I started collecting firsts about 12 years ago, then after only a couple of years I had to stop because I couldn't afford my wife's medical bills, let alone an expensive hobby. Now that things are getting back to where I can start spending a little again, I just can't believe the prices. I know I am probably never going to have a first printing of anything printed before I was born (1978) and probably nothing that King has scribbled his name on. I have to settle for much later printings and I pick up the limited editions when I can get them direct from the publisher, before they hit the aftermarket, and even then I am getting the lowest tier. But I am okay with that. That's one big reason I love the various slipcases, whether from CD or Tomas or Jeff Whiley. They are a way someone with a smaller budget can add a little something different and unique to their collection without having to spend thousands for a first printing of Carrie or a Signed and Lettered anything. It makes a $20 dollar Scribner first printing feel a little more special.
Ben Staad wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:12 am Best of luck with your continued journey on 1st states. My personal journey veered off course many years ago when I realized that much of the DD stuff was beyond my means unless I wanted to only purchase one book a year or so.
sunflowersociety

jwilkinson404 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:44 am Definitely. Just pre-ordered mine.
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:38 pm Going by the posts on here, the slipcase is better than the book! Thanks Brian.
Speaking of, looks like the pre-orders just went live.
https://lividian.com/store/custom-slipc ... c4ed4a5328
Sherlock Joe's

Post by Sherlock Joe's »

sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:19 am Speaking of, looks like the pre-orders just went live.
I've never personally ordered from Lividian, but just reading the fact that they're TRYING to make this slipcase fit 3 different publisher's versions of the book makes me want to get one, just to support the business if nothing else.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

The owner is a great guy, talented author, and produces some lovely books. Highly recommend Lividian.
Sherlock Joe's wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:30 am
sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:19 am Speaking of, looks like the pre-orders just went live.
I've never personally ordered from Lividian, but just reading the fact that they're TRYING to make this slipcase fit 3 different publisher's versions of the book makes me want to get one, just to support the business if nothing else.
jwilkinson404

Post by jwilkinson404 »

sunflowersociety wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:19 am
jwilkinson404 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:44 am Definitely. Just pre-ordered mine.
Speaking of, looks like the pre-orders just went live.
It had actually already gone live when I posted that. I really had submitted my pre-order already.