Thinner copyright page edition question

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Jerrica

Thinner copyright page edition question

Post by Jerrica »

I have a hardcover edition of "Thinner" that has $12.95 U.S./$15.95 Canada on the inside dustjacket flap and "First Printing, November 1984" on the copyright page. However, the numbers are "56789". I'm not sure what this means in regards to edition?

Thank you for your help.
racerx45

Re: Thinner copyright page edition question

Post by racerx45 »

The numbers indicate which printing the book is. I this case it a 5th printing. A 1st printing would have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jerrica

Post by Jerrica »

Thank you for the information. So, I look at the lowest number in the sequence to figure out the printing? Is printing the same as edition (5th printing = 5th edition)? This is all new to me.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Jerrica wrote:Thank you for the information. So, I look at the lowest number in the sequence to figure out the printing? Is printing the same as edition (5th printing = 5th edition)? This is all new to me.
Not really. It would be the fifth printing of the first edition. There may never be a second edition.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Here's a quick link on the difference between an edition and a printing.
http://www.booklibris.com/BLFirstEditionID.htm

(Hint) Most people don't use the terms correctly, they'll call a book a 2nd edition when really it's a 2nd printing.

The important thing to remember in the SK world, is that collectors say "1st edition" mean a "1st edition /1st printing". Anything else, whether it's a 3rd edition or a 1st edition 3rd printing really isn't very valuable compared to the 1st/1st.