No DJ and Prebound

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
Roadster

No DJ and Prebound

Post by Roadster »

I'm brand new here on this forum and to any such SK group, although I have a near-complete King collection, missing very few. So, I'd say I qualify as "Constant Reader". Questions: What is the value of "The Stand", 1st edition, T39, in good condition but no DJ? Second, what does "prebound" mean and is it a good or bad thing value-wise? Thanks. Roadster
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: No DJ and Prebound

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Roadster wrote:I'm brand new here on this forum and to any such SK group, although I have a near-complete King collection, missing very few. So, I'd say I qualify as "Constant Reader". Questions: What is the value of "The Stand", 1st edition, T39, in good condition but no DJ? Second, what does "prebound" mean and is it a good or bad thing value-wise? Thanks. Roadster
90% of the value is in the DJ, so one without the DJ would not really attract a buyer.

"prebound" are books usually issued by the Perma-Bound company to schools and libraries. They have littla appeal and therefore are not worth much.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Thank you, sir. It's a little weird that so much value is placed on the DJ. I'm also taken back by the multiple versions of books such as prebound etc.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Roadster wrote:Thank you, sir. It's a little weird that so much value is placed on the DJ. I'm also taken back by the multiple versions of books such as prebound etc.
The reason so much value is placed on the DJ is because it's the first thing to get damaged. Combine that with poor quality materials on the early Doubleday books & no one thinking that the books would become valueable at the time of release (so they didn't take care of them particularly well) = very few copies with excellent DJ's many more with a wide variety of damage.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I understand, but it's the literary work itself and the fact that relatively few were printed that make it treasured. Certainly a beautiful, museum quality book and cover would be best. It's just strange that the DJ commands so much value. I could sooner see 50/50? Oh well...is what it is. Thanks.
darrellyow@yahoo.com

Post by darrellyow@yahoo.com »

I am working on secondary collection of SK books. I have several willing to trade if you have any, The Stand included, that you'd like to trade message me. Thanks