The Shining featuring "Before the Play" AND "After the Play"

Any questions related to limited editions
BrianJamesFreeman

The Shining featuring "Before the Play" AND "After the Play"

Post by BrianJamesFreeman »

Cemetery Dance Publications is thrilled to announce our special edition of The Shining by Stephen King, featuring his long lost prologue "Before the Play" restored at the beginning of the novel for the first time anywhere in the world:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king11

Features color paintings by Don Maitz and much much more!

Brian
Last edited by BrianJamesFreeman on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: The Shining special edition featuring "Before the Play"

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks for the news Brian, I've sent a newsletter out. If there are any updates I'll put therm here!
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Another CD book I was going to resist, until I saw the artwork....
BrianJamesFreeman

jimimck wrote:Another CD book I was going to resist, until I saw the artwork....
Thanks for ordering! I still can't believe how quickly all three editions sold out!

Brian
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Extra copies of both gift and limited edtion are available thru PS Publishing as of right now
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/prod ... ce_edition
BrianJamesFreeman

Re: The Shining featuring "Before the Play" AND "After the P

For those who didn't order THE SHINING from us, here is the big news you may have missed yesterday:

First, in case you missed the news, we wanted to let you know that ALL of our editions of THE SHINING sold out in record time, even the Gift Edition. Our thanks to you for all of your support.

Second, we have some AMAZING news to share. As you know, Stephen King has graciously allowed us to restore his long lost, 40 page prologue called “Before the Play” to the beginning of the book. It has never appeared in any edition of THE SHINING anywhere in the world and may never be reprinted again.

Well, something even more incredible has happened. Last week, a collector named Jon Page contacted us because he had something very special in his collection: an earlier draft of the manuscript, when it was still called THE SHINE, which had been sent around to Hollywood production studios to sell the movie rights before the book was published.

This manuscript includes HUNDREDS of sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes not included in the final book we all know and love. Of particular interest is a four page section toward the end known as “After the Play,” which even Stephen King believed had been lost forever because he didn’t have a copy in his archives!

Thanks to Jon’s amazing discovery, and Steve’s generous permission, all of this Deleted Material will now be included in our special edition of THE SHINING, which you already have on order. You do not need to do anything at this time.

Adding this material will take about two weeks of additional production time, but it means this version of the book will be as definitive as possible, which should make it an even bigger hit with collectors for years to come. A HUGE “thank you” goes out to Jon and Steve for making this addition to the book possible.

We’ll send another production update when we have news to share.
Last edited by BrianJamesFreeman on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks for posting this Brian - and a big Thank you to Cemetery Dance for modifying their book after it was sold out to include more content for fans. Something they clearly didn't have to do to drum up interest since they already pre-sold their copies. This is a great win for fans of The Shining!

I may actually crack open and read this copy :mrgreen:
BrianJamesFreeman

TheCollector wrote:Thanks for posting this Brian - and a big Thank you to Cemetery Dance for modifying their book after it was sold out to include more content for fans. Something they clearly didn't have to do to drum up interest since they already pre-sold their copies. This is a great win for fans of The Shining!

I may actually crack open and read this copy :mrgreen:
A lot of "normal" readers won't care about the deleted material, but I find it absolutely fascinating. Even where he trimmed a sentence here or a sentence there to change the flow of a paragraph or emphasize a development or an underlying theme. Good stuff!

Brian
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I'd like to echo Tomas' comment above: greT to see an alteration to the book, even post sell out, to give the fans more special content. Very cool of CD to make this happen.
BrianJamesFreeman

Just a quick note, I sent the additional bonus material for THE SHINING to the designer today and it totals just shy of 10,000 words.

Brian