Opened versus unopened ltd ed values?

Any questions related to limited editions
Cento

Opened versus unopened ltd ed values?

Post by Cento »

Hi there, my first time posting here. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much SK limited editions might reduce in value if unwrapped, versus still wrapped and new in plastic. I've bought the Salem's Lot, Cemetery Dance signed edition, and wondering whether to also grab a gift edition to "use" and preserve the signed one. Thoughts? Thanks.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Opened versus unopened ltd ed values?

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

How do you know that your sealed Salem's Lot is actually signed? Maybe they forgot to include the signature sheet. Lots of books have faults in them.

If you look at sales of King books, the sealed books sell for the same price as unsealed ones.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I agree with Mr. RT. An unopened edition could have flaws (misbound pages, missing signature sheet, etc.) that you'll never notice without opening it. Plus, in some cases, the shrink wrap could, over a period of time, damage the book.

John
Cento

Post by Cento »

Cheers guys, thank you for the responses, you make excellent points. And it keeps in line with the philosophy of enjoying your collection, not just thinking of them as an investment. Thanks again.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Yesterday a poster on tdt.org opened a S/L The Dark Tower: The Wastelands and found that the King signature was missing from the signature page. He will not be able to replace that book nowadays because they were sold out years ago.

Lesson learned. Always remove shrinkwrap as soon as you buy your book. Then you can get a replacement if the book has faults.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... post938891
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Yes I feel you need to open them to look them over. When I buy anything to collect I barely open the book. I treat it like gold. I look to the beginning pages and that is it. If I sell something I have a hard time taking pictures and in a listing I will state why.

Shrink wrap shrinks. The name of it says so. Back in the day I had 2 books in shrink wrap that the plastic wore the dust jacket down a bit and took the color off. DT Gunslinger 2nd edition and DT Wastelands I had this problem.

I'd suggest taking it off, examine for errors carefully, and then Mylar wrap the dust jacket if there is one. Throw it in a bookcase with doors and hide it from the sun. That's what I do lol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jhanic wrote:I agree with Mr. RT. An unopened edition could have flaws (misbound pages, missing signature sheet, etc.) that you'll never notice without opening it. Plus, in some cases, the shrink wrap could, over a period of time, damage the book.
John
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Yesterday a poster on tdt.org opened a S/L The Dark Tower: The Wastelands and found that the King signature was missing from the signature page. He will not be able to replace that book nowadays because they were sold out years ago. Lesson learned. Always remove shrinkwrap as soon as you buy your book. Then you can get a replacement if the book has faults.
allasorte wrote: ...Shrink wrap shrinks. The name of it says so. Back in the day I had 2 books in shrink wrap that the plastic wore the dust jacket down a bit and took the color off. DT Gunslinger 2nd edition and DT Wastelands I had this problem.
Aauugghh! I don't want to hear this! I've kept every one of my limited editions in the shrinkwrap! Opening them just feels...sacrilegious. I have first (Grant) editions of all the Dark Tower books (except The Gunslinger, which is a 3rd ed) and all of them (except Gunslinger) are still in the original shrinkwrap. But at least these aren't signed copies, so I don't have to worry about the signature page missing.

However, I also have several other limiteds (Little Sisters of Eluria, Desperation, the Cemetery Dance Doubleday editions), and some limiteds which are signed copies (Under the Dome, 11/22/63) which are all still in the original shrinkwrap.

I know it sounds like I should open them, but, but, but, but...THE HORROR!!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Interestingly enough the only verified stories I've heard of shrinkwrap damage come from the early Grant limited editions. I wonder if that's because they're some of the oldest S/L to have shrinkwrap or because whatever was being used to shrinkwrap at the time was more prone to these sorts of issues? Anyone able to verify a non DT1,2 or 3 book with shrinkwrap damage?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

TheCollector wrote:Anyone able to verify a non DT1,2 or 3 book with shrinkwrap damage?
Can't help you with that query, but I do know there are different types of shrinkwrap. I think some types might be dodgy, others might be okay.
divemaster

Post by divemaster »

I can't speak to the shrinkwrap damage issue (although it's very easy to shrinkwrap a book if you ever want to replace it), but I have opened a book only to find the first 13 pages missing. Binding error. Luckily I was able to get a replacement copy from the publisher. But if you never open your book you'll never know if it's defective or not. Perhaps some collectors don't mind not knowing exactly what they have, but it seems weird to me to have a book and never open it or even take it off the shelf. I mean, a book is not a Hummel figure!