new to collecting

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
knisley1988

new to collecting

Post by knisley1988 »

I am very new to collecting and learning a lot from sites and forums like this. I have a couple issues I want to ask to settle the doubts I have about what I should be looking for. I know the most desirable book would be first edition first printing and after that how would you rate first edition first printing with remainder marks, no matter how small and first edition first printing with library markings? Are these even worth considering? Or would a first edition later printing be more desirable?
racerx45

Re: new to collecting

Post by racerx45 »

Welcome to the board. IMO there are very few second or later printings that I would buy unless you are looking for a reading copy. A first with a remainder mark I would consider if the book had a small print run (less than 100,000) and was priced right, with the goal up upgrading later. If the print run was more than 100,000 you should be able to find a nice copy without too much trouble. As for library markings most collectors pass on these books. I would buy one but the price would have to really good and the book would need to be unbelievable condition for a library book and a very low print run book (say less than 30,000).
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

If you are serious about collecting, only the first printing/first editions should be considered. Remainder marks on a first/first will devalue a book unless, as racerx45 said, the print run was fewer than 100,000. Library marks are not acceptable, although if the print run is VERY small, they could be considered. I own a library copy of the UK Carrie (print run about 500) that I got for a very reasonable price.

Second and later printings are, again as racerx45 said, really only good for reading copies. I do own a later printing of Joyland because there are textual differences between it and the first printing.

John
Cwalker

Post by Cwalker »

From a collectors point, the other responses are dead on. These guys know their stuff. However.... From a NEW collectors point, you might consider picling up later printings, library copies, even Book Of The Month Club editions as "place holders" knowing that you will be replacing and upgrading them as you can.

Something on your shelf always looks better than nothing! :)

I recently replaced a 1/8 Firestarter with a 1/2 copy, knowing that it was a better copy, but also knowing that I will still be in the hunt for a 1/1.

Be sure not to overspend on these types of books, but don't always ignore them either. It will keep you focused on your vision of what you want your collection to be.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Cwalker wrote:From a collectors point, the other responses are dead on. These guys know their stuff. However.... From a NEW collectors point, you might consider picling up later printings, library copies, even Book Of The Month Club editions as "place holders" knowing that you will be replacing and upgrading them as you can.

I recently replaced a 1/8 Firestarter with a 1/2 copy, knowing that it was a better copy, but also knowing that I will still be in the hunt for a 1/1.

Be sure not to overspend on these types of books, but don't always ignore them either. It will keep you focused on your vision of what you want your collection to be.
That's a great perspective from a new collector, I sure can loose sight of my 14 year old self, hanging out at my local used bookstore with $20 paper route money in my hand - hey we all got our start somewhere!
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

TheCollector wrote:
Cwalker wrote:From a collectors point, the other responses are dead on. These guys know their stuff. However.... From a NEW collectors point, you might consider picling up later printings, library copies, even Book Of The Month Club editions as "place holders" knowing that you will be replacing and upgrading them as you can.

That's a great perspective from a new collector, I sure can loose sight of my 14 year old self, hanging out at my local used bookstore with $20 paper route money in my hand - hey we all got our start somewhere!

I had a BCE (BookClub Edition) of Salem's Lot and Night Shift as space holders until I found the right firsts. They were $10 vintage copies which worked fine. I prefered them over later printings. They were still worth $10 when I finally filled these two spots.
Happy hunting.