Salem's Lot Deluxe Gift Edition

Any questions related to limited editions
Sovereign

Salem's Lot Deluxe Gift Edition

Post by Sovereign »

Hello,

I'm a beginner book collector, and I've managed to get a few second hand first edition King books, but I was considering getting in to the habit of buying upcoming releases. I know they are not as valuable, but I wanted your opinions on the 'Salems Lots Deluxe Slipcase Gift Edition. It's 95$, and is part of a 3000 copy run. Do you foresee its value increasing in the future? It is worth buying over a more expensive, older copy of 'Salems Lots?

Also, I'm open to any newbie Stephen King collecting advice, tips, or helpful pointers on which books I should go for first.

Thankee sai,
Sovereign

Link: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king10
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Salem's Lot Deluxe Gift Edition

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

If you look at the eBay sales for Cemetery Dance "Gift Editions", you will see that they usually sell under the price they were issued for. (There is one exception, IT.)

The limitations are too high for these books ever to rise in value,
Cento

Post by Cento »

Depends what your reasons are for collecting. If it's entirely investment purposes, you're probably best to go with early first editions (small print runs) and signed limited. But if you're also interested in the aesthetic aspect of collecting, the joy of owning exemplar pieces from your favourite authors, etc., then the Cemetery Dance publications are beautiful productions of Kings work. As you get further into collecting, you'll probably stop saying either / or but AND (like I did)... ;)

PS: From a Buick 8 seems to be Gift Edition also punching above its weight.
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Collect because you want to collect something. As for future potential value, King really hasn't disappointed, so there is that? I'm kind of OCD so if I had the money I would buy everything lol.

As for the CD gift editions, like someone responded with, they aftermarket for those seems cheaper. If you can wait it out or get a discount on CD if they still have copies, then do that. I bought the Carrie gift edition for 40% less. Up to you!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Sovereign wrote:Hello,

I'm a beginner book collector, and I've managed to get a few second hand first edition King books, but I was considering getting in to the habit of buying upcoming releases. I know they are not as valuable, but I wanted your opinions on the 'Salems Lots Deluxe Slipcase Gift Edition. It's 95$, and is part of a 3000 copy run. Do you foresee its value increasing in the future? It is worth buying over a more expensive, older copy of 'Salems Lots?

Also, I'm open to any newbie Stephen King collecting advice, tips, or helpful pointers on which books I should go for first.

Thankee sai,
Sovereign

Link: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king10
Welcome to collecting King! With a 3,000 copy run (and other Salem's Lot collectible editions out there already) I don't anticipate this title increasing in value. Smaller gift edition runs or titles that don't have any other limited editions already are better candidates.

Also it seems that short story collections don't rise as well as popular novels. For example if there were a limited edtion of Mr. Mercedes and Bazaar of Bad dreams released at the same time with the same print run - and you only had funds to get one title I'd advise Mr. Mercedes as the one with the chance of increasing value the most down the road.