Christine (UK 1st) dust jackets

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Cento

Christine (UK 1st) dust jackets

Post by Cento »

Can I again have some advice from the resident experts. I recently acquired 2 copies of Christine UK firsts. One has a DJ with the price but is only in good - VG condition (interior staining, a few chips and edge wear, creases - it's been around the block, for sure), and the other DJ is price clipped but in Fine condition. I understand this edition of Christine is often price clipped, however. Now, I'm wanting to keep one and sell one (I want to keep the one of highest value). Which do you think holds the most value? I presume the unclipped DJ?
Thx guys :D
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Christine (UK 1st) dust jackets

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Bin them both, unless you want to keep them for reading copies. The UK Christine is not worth much and easy to get in near mint condition.
Cento

Post by Cento »

Cheers Mr Rabbit Trick. I got them for what I thought was a "steal" - US$10 each, but sounds maybe even that was steep! So if neither surpasses the other, I think I'll keep the fine. Cheers
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Price clipping any book is a disaster as far as collectors go. I can't think of any serious collector who would want one.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Price clipping any book is a disaster as far as collectors go. I can't think of any serious collector who would want one.
I agree completely.

John
downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Price clipping any book is a disaster as far as collectors go. I can't think of any serious collector who would want one.
While I agree with the above statement, let's just say that you didn't have a copy of one of the rarer SK first editions, and one came available that was price-clipped but at a discount. Are you holding out for an unprice-clipped version that will more than likely cost more?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

downs1418 wrote:
While I agree with the above statement, let's just say that you didn't have a copy of one of the rarer SK first editions, and one came available that was price-clipped but at a discount. Are you holding out for an unprice-clipped version that will more than likely cost more?
If you get a GREAT deal, you can use it as a placeholder until a better one shows up. You will always know, however, that there is a flaw in the one.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

downs1418 wrote:
I would never buy a "placeholder". I am patient and can wait for a perfect copy. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I had a sub-standard book in my collection. :)
Mr. Rabbit Trick

My UK Christine was signed on 11 May 1983, the day of release...

Cento

Post by Cento »

Always good advice all round on this forum, cheers. And now I can't sleep at night. I keep walking past the Christine on my shelf and ... noticing it. Sitting there. The blemished thing it is. :(

Mr Rabbit Trick - that is quite the trump copy. Awesome. :shock: