UK First Edition "The Stand"

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Cento

UK First Edition "The Stand"

Post by Cento »

Hi there, I'm wondering if I could have some of this forum's expertise.

I'm an Australian collector and found a true first UK edition of the "The Stand" at a local antiquarian bookshop. The DJ is in VG+ condition, book itself has some foxing on the edges and endpapers, but VG+ also. It's a nice, tidy, clean edition. I've been looking everywhere to see what it may be worth, but can't seem to find a copy on the net to use as a reference. They're selling it for around around US$650. It just seems a bit high, given you can pick up the more expensive US equivalent for around $700.

Anyone have any guess at whether this is a fair price?

Cheers
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: UK First Edition "The Stand"

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

A VG+ UK Stand should be around $400. If the DJ was in better condition, it would go for a lot more.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'll leave it to Mr Rabbit Trick to give you the valuation, since he's better at keeping a pulse on the UK editions then I am, but I'd agree that the DJ is where all the value is at. Can you post a couple photos of what VG+ is, that may help with a definitive valuation.
Cento

Post by Cento »

Thanks for your responses. I haven't got photos of the copy, but I was able to talk her down to US$575, and said I'd get back to her (I'm so bad at negotiating prices, though :( ). I plan to go back in a few months and if it's still there I'll grab some photos (or even buy it if she can move a little more).

Thanks again for you points.
Cento

Post by Cento »

So, I finally bought it. Probably not quite a VG+, but I negotiated down to a little under $400 USD equivalent ($550 Aus). It's a nice solid copy. Some foxing to block and edge wear / chipping to the dustkjacket, but I'm pleased. Rare to see early 1st in Australia, I'm grateful not having to shell out postage fees for OS orders. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I'd say that an offer of US$500-575 wouldn't be out of line. I'd say the dust jacket is truly F/VF, and there were fewer than 1,000 copies printed, so such an offer is warranted.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Sounds like a good buy at $550Aud

I'm in NZ and I know what you mean regarding not paying shipping/import fees. It's a bonus all in itself.
Cento

Post by Cento »

Cheers guys