"For use in schools and libraries only"

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
connorhallee09

"For use in schools and libraries only"

Post by connorhallee09 »

Hi there,

I'm a relatively new collector and I'm currently working my way through a dark tower reading list that includes all of King's books that tie into the series. I've been trying to pick up first editions as I go and I've noticed that a number of listings I've found on Ebay for various first editions say "for use in schools and libraries only" under the synopsis heading. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what that means before I purchase any of these books as I don't want to accidentally buy a BCE or anything like that.

Thanks!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: "For use in schools and libraries only"

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Almost all of his books have a "library binding" version. They are usually by a different publisher.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

connorhallee09 wrote:Hi there,

I'm a relatively new collector and I'm currently working my way through a dark tower reading list that includes all of King's books that tie into the series. I've been trying to pick up first editions as I go and I've noticed that a number of listings I've found on Ebay for various first editions say "for use in schools and libraries only" under the synopsis heading. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what that means before I purchase any of these books as I don't want to accidentally buy a BCE or anything like that.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to the forums! To expand on Mr Rabbit's post, even if these aren't rebound or separate editions, any time you buy/sell and ex-library copy it should be labeled as such, these copies would likely have library markings on them at the very least and, as such a 1st edition ex-library copy wouldn't be as desirable as a regular 1st edition copy, all other things being equal.

Aside from some of the very early Doubleday books most 1st editions should be relatively easy enough to find as regular 1st editions. I'd go for those whenever possible. Some of the earlier books might be harder to find this way at a good price - but hey, the fun is in the chase :)
connorhallee09

Post by connorhallee09 »

Awesome, thanks for all the info!
Lelue

Post by Lelue »

TheCollector wrote:
connorhallee09 wrote:Hi there,

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to the forums! To expand on Mr Rabbit's post, even if these aren't rebound or separate editions, any time you buy/sell and ex-library copy it should be labeled as such, these copies would likely have library markings on them at the very least and, as such a 1st edition ex-library copy wouldn't be as desirable as a regular 1st edition copy, all other things being equal.

Aside from some of the very early Doubleday books most 1st editions should be relatively easy enough to find as regular 1st editions. I'd go for those whenever possible. Some of the earlier books might be harder to find this way at a good price - but hey, the fun is in the chase :)

So, if a book is a 1st/1st and is ex-library what would the difference in value be? Example: a 1st/1st The Gunslinger is valued at around 600.00 to 800.00 and the copy you have is ex library, with a stamp of library on top of closed pages and a single small stamp on title page?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Lelue wrote:So, if a book is a 1st/1st and is ex-library what would the difference in value be? Example: a 1st/1st The Gunslinger is valued at around 600.00 to 800.00 and the copy you have is ex library, with a stamp of library on top of closed pages and a single small stamp on title page?
It all depends on the condition of the book. If it's worn, even slightly, the value would be drop considerately. I have a UK ex-library of King's Salem's Lot that, other than a library stamp on the edge of the pages and on the title page, is in excellent (near fine) condition--it doesn't even look like it's been opened. The value of that one would be about half that of an equivalent edition that WASN'T ex-lib. I paid what it is worth.

John